Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default At last, the nastiest bug (caching) fixed in NetFront 3.2!

As I've posted to several PPC boards, I've found a nasty bug in NetFront 3.1 (from now on: NF) with flaky caching/reloading, which makes using NF 3.1 far more bandwith-consuming than an in this respect bugless PPC browser (for example, Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) or NetFront 3.2).

If you navigate to a previously visited page which still exists in NF's cache, the changes to the page will NOT be visible at all - the server always answers with a 304 Not Modified message. I've tested this several times with modified HTML pages. The changes have never been displayed without explicit reloading. If you force a reload of the page (click the Reload icon), on the other hand, all files will be downloaded again, regardless of their being modified or original, resulting in excess (and, again, unnecessary) bandwidth hit. In this respect, both PIE and NF 3.2 is much better.

Fortunately, in the latest (still Japanese only) version of NF, 3.2, this bug has been corrected.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

Glad to see this has been fixed.

This has particularly bugged me when visiting news sites (like ppc Thoughts) and needing to do an explicit refresh every time I visit.

Now I just have to wait for an English release of v3.2...

Old 05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Menneisyys

I've countinued exploring Netfront Version 3.2.

Version 3.2, unlike its predecessor, it allows for relocating the cache - just found it out by examining its registry keys. That is, the cache may be in the (fast to write to) RAM, while the app itself may be in ROM.

See HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\access.co.jp\NetFront3\BrowserPref

Incidentally, Version 3.2 has a lot of other, new settings. Much as the above entry only contained "NF3RendererType", "NF3BuildNo", "NF3CoreType" and "LicenseID" in 3.1, version 3.2 is far more configurable. Even without knowing Japanese, based on the Registry, it does seem that the new version is indeed a great leap forward.

Before you ask: I've tried to hack version 3.1 by importing the 3.2-specific L2Cache* values into the 3.1 registry to enable cache relocation; without success. 3.1 doesn't make use of them.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Kati Compton

Does 3.2 handle VGA natively?

Old 05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Does 3.2 handle VGA natively?
Unfortunately, no. It's working in forced VGA great, however. (I haven't checked whether it's buggy with forms though - it was an annoying bug with 3.1 in forced VGA mode.)

See for example the screenshots of NF 3.1 and 3.2 in both forced VGA and standard SE, without forced mode at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=39534 .

Old 05-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
(I haven't checked whether it's buggy with forms though - it was an annoying bug with 3.1 in forced VGA mode.)
I've just tested if version 3.2 still has the forced/native VGA form bug of its predecessor. It was eliminated from forced VGA:

3.1 had a problem that made a lot of problems for VGA users in both forced and native VGA. If you used the browser to fill in form fields, as soon as you stepped in any of them, the lower half of the screen just disappeared as can be seen in the following two shots:

This problem no longer exists with 3.2, as can be seen here:

In native VGA, however, it remained:

And a new one has been introduced (again in native VGA):

Therefore, I'd use this app only in forced VGA mode. Unfortunately, as clearly can be seen, the app is still not VGA-aware. Text entry fields are messed up in forced VGA (only the upper half of the letters are visible) etc. However, the size of the address bar is correct, as are those of the dialogs.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Kati Compton

Ugh - but it still has the problem that fonts rendered inside text entry boxes are cut off at the bottom. This is my biggest complaint about NF. Second would be the GIGANTOR location bar in forced VGA mode that also has text cut off at the bottom.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Ugh - but it still has the problem that fonts rendered inside text entry boxes are cut off at the bottom. This is my biggest complaint about NF. Second would be the GIGANTOR location bar in forced VGA mode that also has text cut off at the bottom.
Yes, it's still not perfect, unfortunately. It's strange the people over at Access didn't make this version VGA compliant...

Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
halljames
Pupil

I know. Netfront 3.1 has been out for ages, you would think in this day and age of VGA devices that they would have made it compatible. I think it is disgraceful.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames
I know. Netfront 3.1 has been out for ages, you would think in this day and age of VGA devices that they would have made it compatible. I think it is disgraceful.
Well, the Access people just may consider the VGA market too small and not profitable enough. Thunderhawk, for example, doesn't have a VGA-optimized version either, not even as long as images are concerned. (Creatng a VGA charset is much more time-consuming than just add VGA image support into Thunderhawk.)