Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.
Default What happened to my storage card????????

When I scan the card for error with Pocket Mechanic, the device freezes up after it is done. Then, I have to soft reset the device. However, I discovered that more than 9/10 of my data are gone :!: Even though the disk space occupied is the same in Settings, I couldn't find almost any of my data with File Explorer or Total Commader. The programs shortcut for those disappeared files also stopped working. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

HELP!

Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: What happened to my storage card????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Y.
When I scan the card for error with Pocket Mechanic, the device freezes up after it is done. Then, I have to soft reset the device. However, I discovered that more than 9/10 of my data are gone :!: Even though the disk space occupied is the same in Settings, I couldn't find almost any of my data with File Explorer or Total Commader. The programs shortcut for those disappeared files also stopped working. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

HELP!
A rule of thumb:

NEVER use Pocket Mechanic (or, for that matter, Storage Tools) for scanning for errors, it will probably mess up your card!

(Sorry for using bold - I would just cry when I think of the files I lost because of the two above-mentioned apps...)

Unfortunately, I too have very bad experiences with these two apps. This is why I'm trying to tell everyone not to use them for scanning cards. (for example, in my MP3/Speex recorder article, see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/newsl_jkwg/JKWG_02-22-05.htm ( http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...n=expand,37799
and http://www.pocketcasting.com/archive...the-pocket-pc/ ) for more info).

Always use chkdsk on the desktop Windows instead; it will fix almost everything. And if it doesn't, use GetDataBack for FAT32. Using chkdsk is pretty straightforward:

1, insert your memory card in the memory reader (without it, it won't work)

2, issue the chkdsk drivename: /f command.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
yankeejeep
Thinker

I second that and am glad you used bold (maybe caps would not have been out of the question, since this needs to be yelled). I have yet to find a set of card utilities for the PPC platform that work nearly as well or as reliably as the tools available on any Windows desktop. Save yourself a ton of grief and make the very minor investment in a card reader so memory card maintenance chores can be done with your desktop machine.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Menneisyys

BTW, I've just, some 2 days ago mentioned this problem in a nearby thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=39485

Old 04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Default Thanks

I really appreciate your suggestion. I think you should share your opinion with everybody to prevent more people from becoming a poor victim like me :cry: (It will be great if you make all your announcements in BOLD and CAP

As for the disappeared files, can the desktop utilities retrieve them FOR SURE?? I just can't bare the fact that I might loose 480 MB of data. :cry:

Also, my dad won't be very happy to find out about the big crisis. I got tons of important data on the SD card. I have never thought of back up the data to my computer. I'll never be able to replace them all.

Lastly, can tell me more about "chkdsk"? I'm one of the stupid people who don't know anything. Does Windoes XP has that program build-in??

THANK YOU :!:

P.S

Is any other possible solution that doesn't require PC connection. I am positive that my dad won't buy the SD card reader.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:23 AM
socrates63
Intellectual
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Lastly, can tell me more about "chkdsk"? I'm one of the stupid people who don't know anything. Does Windoes XP has that program build-in??
Yes, "chkdsk" is included in WinXP. Click Start >> Run and enter "cmd". This will create a command line window. Enter "chkdsk /?" in the command line to display the help for it.

Quote:
Is any other possible solution that doesn't require PC connection. I am positive that my dad won't buy the SD card reader.
If you want to use chkdsk, I'm pretty sure you will need a card reader as it only works with disk volumes. Without a card reader, I don't know how you can get the flash card to be recognized by Windows as a disk volume. Maybe there is a way to access the card from chkdsk while the card is inserted in the PPC and connected to the PC, but I don't know how.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates63
Without a card reader, I don't know how you can get the flash card to be recognized by Windows as a disk volume. Maybe there is a way to access the card from chkdsk while the card is inserted in the PPC and connected to the PC, but I don't know how.
It's not possible with current WM releases. It's only with WM2005 that this will (probably - the PDA will surely be accessible as a USB mass storage device, but it's still not known storage cards in it will be also accessible with desktop disk management tools) be possible, as is with Palm OS + CardExport.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Menneisyys

Quote:
I really appreciate your suggestion. I think you should share your opinion with everybody to prevent more people from becoming a poor victim like me :cry: (It will be great if you make all your announcements in BOLD and CAP
That's a good idea. I'll open threads like this and will also write a detailed, objective roundup of PPC-based storage card utilities, with easily reproducable tests to point out their problems when I have some time. I'm trying to warn people of buggy programs, but my means are limited (forums-only), unless my articles/forum posts are linked from main site pages (as was the case with my MP3 roundup article, for example).

Quote:
As for the disappeared files, can the desktop utilities retrieve them FOR SURE?? I just can't bare the fact that I might loose 480 MB of data. :cry:
chkdsk has always restored my lost files so far (I was in a lot of situations like this). I, however, don't guaranetee that your particular files will be restored.

However, if you don't trust it/want to be absolutely sure everything will be OK, give a try to GetDataBack for FAT ( http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm ) first. It is able to work in read-only mode too and will give you the possibility to restore the lost/damaged files to some other medium, unlike chkdsk.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage

Thanks a lot, guys. I might never fix my SD card without your help. My mom and dad decided to buy a SD card reader after all!! Now, I just hope that the solutions will work. Is there anything important I need to beware of when I repair the card?

Old 04-28-2005, 04:00 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage

Wait a minute......... Please Help!

The enter the "fix" command and CHKDSK recover the files. However, it save them as .CHK. How can I change them to normal files???