Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Legacy Devices

Old 04-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Cheetah
Neophyte
Default Returning to PPC (posted previously on wrong board)

I've had about 5 Palms and 2 PPCs.

Since my work moved to Exchange Outlook, I'm back to PPC.

One thing I notice in the PPC world is the variety of devices.

I would like to select a HP iPaq but not sure which one is recommended by the "experts".

Good battery life is very important to me
Small size is also important (don't like the biggest iPaqs) to me
Price is not a concern

Can anyone recommend which model would be best for me?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:24 AM
KTamas
Thinker

Well...For good battery life, there is HX4700, but it is..uhm...big. For small size, but average battery life, go with 4150/55. For good battery life but bigger size go with rx3710/15.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:42 AM
surur
Mystic

If money is no concern and you want a small pocketpc get a Loox 720.

Its the most feature rich device with a VGA screen. Why insist on HP? Just the name?

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...aring-en.shtml

Surur

Old 04-16-2005, 10:37 PM
pr0vider
Ponderer

I never would have traded my Ipaq 2215 for a Dell X50v if the Ipaq could have been retrofitted with a VGA screen. It was (and still is) my favorite; small, versatile (SD and CF slots), and well built. At my age, the only reason I traded was because of diminishing eyesight; a slightly larger VGA screen helped matters immensely. :|

Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Cheetah
Neophyte
Default Went to buy my new iPaq, but!

when I went to the store with the full intention of buying a new PPC, I was really shocked by the poor resolution of all but one model.

I'm used to my Palm T5 resolution of 320x480, but all the PPC units had only 240x320, except one iPaq which had really high res, but was huge (forgot the model, but the one with the touch pad).

I just couldn't bring myself to buy a PDA with such poor resolution.

Is HP introducing a high res PDA in the "non-brick" size category?

If not, is there another brand that has a small PDA with a high res screen?

Old 04-27-2005, 07:49 AM
surur
Mystic

The Loox 720 is shorter, less wide and weighs less than the hp hx4700 that you had looked at. Its smaller than a t5 with way more features.

Read firstloox.org for a comparison of VGA pocketpc's. If you want the best ppc experience this is the one to buy.

Surur

Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
stevelam
Thinker
Default Re: Went to buy my new iPaq, but!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
I'm used to my Palm T5 resolution of 320x480, but all the PPC units had only 240x320, except one iPaq which had really high res, but was huge (forgot the model, but the one with the touch pad).
That'll be the hx4700/4705 then.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 PM
abarry
Pupil

It really depends on what you need the PDA for.

Here're the advantages I see with the iPaq 4700:

1. It has the biggest screen (4") and yes, size does matter, even a difference of 0.3" (vs. 3.7" in Loox and Axim). It does make this PDA bigger, but it is sleek and thin, and at 6.6 oz, not 'heavy'.

2. This bigger screen makes the pictures look better, as does the facade of the PDA, which looks more like a PMC (Pocket Media Center) than a PDA. For me this is a welcome optical illusion.

3. The 4" does make a difference when surfing the internet, as well. Of course I am comparing it with the 3.5" screen of 2215, which wasn't of VGA resolution, as well.

4. I am able to use the HP's BT stereo headphones ($99 from www.hpshopping.com) for my MP3s. I have purchased a 4GB Hitachi microdrive ($152 from www.provantage.com), and I now have a iPod Mini for 150 bucks and I can listen to it without wires! Yes there are other stereo BT headphones, like the Blutake, but they are rather unwieldy.

5. The 128MB ROM gives me an 80MB worth of file storage capacity. I now have more programs loaded here, for faster execution, rather than in my SD card.

6. There is a slew of built in software like the equalizer, pocket informant (a great PIM, upgradable at a special HP price), iPaq backup (that you can upgrade at a special price too at Sprite Software), and the HP image viewer.

7. The battery in 4700 is rated at 1800 mAH, which is quite better than comparable PDAs.

What other PDAs (Axim, MyPal, Loox) have that my 4700 should:

1. The 64MB of RAM is a joke. Though it officially has 55MB of 'user available' memory, in reality, after all is said (loaded) and done, it is barely 31MB. I discovered that some programs, like the MSReader, have to be loaded in RAM to work. I am able to get 25MB for programs, after sliding the pointer and leaving only 6MB for 'storage. It should have been at least 128MB.

2. Why the f*** it doesn't have WMP10?

3. THe IrDa is at the bottom rather than on the top or the top-side of the PDA. I don't know who still uses it, except, perhaps, as a remote for TV, DVD, etc.

Other things I wish they (or even other PDA makers) did:

1. The stylus could have been longer. This stylus is the same length as the one in iPaq2215, and cramps my hands. Another half inch could probably have been added. Also, I do not know why they do not make the stylus that is triangular in cross section rather than round. I miss the one in Psion 5mx; it was longer as well. I use that with my PDA.

2. There is no Nevo (remote control software) like the 2215.

I hope this helps. I got mine from www.mobileplanet.com for $514 a week ago.

Atul

Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
stevelam
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarry

Atul
This is because it dosent have CIR

Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 AM
abarry
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarry

Atul
This is because it dosent have CIR
What's CIR?

Thanks

Atul