Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
humayunl
Intellectual
Default Installing programs on Storage Card

I just wanted to ask about what there is to know about installing programs on a storage card. (SD in my case).

I know its slower if a program is installed on a Storage Card. How about installation/uninstallation? Anything special to know there?

My main question is: if I have a program installed on a Storage Card, and I do a hard reset, what happens to the program on the card? Should i erase and reinstall? or can i just create a shortcut to it again?

Reason I'm asknig is, there are some programs (dictionary, pocket earth) that i use infrequently, but i'd like to have them available. And I can tolerate slight delays in loading for these. So I am thinking I should install them on a storage card.

Any other info would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Jorgen
Sage

To install on a storage card: During installation, the installation program will ask if you want to install at the default destination. Say no and you will be guided.

I don't know what will happen after a hard reset. Your program will of course still exist on the SD card.

Jorgen

Old 01-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Installing programs on Storage Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by humayunl
I know its slower if a program is installed on a Storage Card. How about installation/uninstallation? Anything special to know there?
Actually, you'll notice dramatic speed problems with very few programs. The only program I've ever encountered to become very sluggish is SimpleSMS. All the other non-Today plug-ins I'e tested worked OK off storage media, as long as speed is concerned.

Quote:
My main question is: if I have a program installed on a Storage Card, and I do a hard reset, what happens to the program on the card? Should i erase and reinstall? or can i just create a shortcut to it again?
It'll remain there. However, as only very few programs don't touch the Registry upon installation (I speak of programs that come as an EXE that shuld be deployed right on the PDA, without any install. AltTab, PDAMill Picture Viewer, some simple SMS handlers are examples of these), the registry data they create upon installation will be lost, and the programs, therefore, won't really run without the Registry contents. So, yu'll need to completely reinstall all apps.

A very good cure for this is regularly backing up your registry (and, for that matter, \Windows, because some programs also install shared DLL's there; also, all .unload files are put there. In subdirectories, in addition, the starting links are also put upon installation, so you'll save yourself the need for re-creating links too.), but not your card. This way, creating backups will be done very fast (becaus ethe main memory remains pretty clean if you only install stuff on strage media) and will occupy little space.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:55 PM
humayunl
Intellectual

So basically its similar to installing programs in windows XP.. i.e. the standard MS 'unclean' style of management where nothing is isolated no matter how organized and isolated i want my installations to be.

But the speed information was new. i havent tried this myself but from people's posts i was expecting all programs to become niticeably slow.

Cool.. this is just what i wanted to know. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
i havent tried this myself but from people's posts i was expecting all programs to become niticeably slow.
On recent hardware, you won't encounter noticable slowdowns. All recent PDA's are capable of reading SD cards at at least 500-600 kbytes/s and at most 1.7 Mbytes/s (depending on the SD and PDA type). Long gone are the times of the iPAQ 38xx with its dog-slow 1-bit SD bus. THEN, it was indeed advisable not to install anything on an SD card. But not anymore.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
MTHall47
Ponderer
Default How about this with the Dell X5?

I noticed one responder said with recent hardware no real slow down.
Is the X5 too old to putt apps on a SD card instead of main memory?
Mine has the 400mhZ processor.

I always wondered why so many companies kept warning not to put the app anywhere other than main memory -- or at least not to put it on a memory card.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Menneisyys
Default Re: How about this with the Dell X5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHall47
I noticed one responder said with recent hardware no real slow down.
Is the X5 too old to putt apps on a SD card instead of main memory?
Mine has the 400mhZ processor.
Dunno, haven't benchmarked it myself. Install an often-used, large app in your main memory and then on your SD and if you seem some perceivable speed difference (or, even critical slowdown, as with SimpleSMS), stick with the main memory.

Quote:
I always wondered why so many companies kept warning not to put the app anywhere other than main memory -- or at least not to put it on a memory card.
Because they aren't really up-to-date. It's not the only thing they do not know much about. For example, all PDA manufacturers still recommend a 10+ hours first charging with Li-Ion batteries. That's not needed at all, either.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
MTHall47
Ponderer
Default Any potential problem with keeping a major app in main and data on CF or SD

Just wanted to see if anyone feels it is risky to keep all major apps in main memory and store all data on CF or SD cards. My main memory is fairly limited.

Thanks.

I have found consistantly that the people on this site are the fastest answering, most helpful, if any site I have been on.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Menneisyys
Default Re: Any potential problem with keeping a major app in main and data on CF or SD

Quote:
Just wanted to see if anyone feels it is risky to keep all major apps in main memory and store all data on CF or SD cards.
In some cases, it is a must to store custom databases (and their corresponding programs) on storage media. E.g., SMS databases. I used to store my SMS handlers in main memory (by deleting them from the phone memory at once so that the communication between the PDA and the phone can remain fast), and - because I didn't back them up each day and I/my wife are always receiving SMS'es from friends/relatives - I had two hard resets because of faulty HardCE batteries for the iPAQ 2210. A lot of our SMS' have been destroyed by this, irreperably.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Ripper014
Oracle

As mentioned it is a luxury for most people to keep applications in main memory. All applications would gain by being in main memory... especially in speed... But because your ram is limited... for most people less than 64mb... they are forced to place their applications normally on a storage card.

Some items need to be in main memory... plug-ins... are one. PIM's such as Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant are better located on main memory as well... also it is a good idea to load larger intense applications such as Textmaker in main memory... as you can see... this can quickly eat up your ram... now who said that 64mb was enough...

I personally keep all my data on the storage cards... with some files in my file store. I do regular backups to protect my data... a good idea for anyone... I think you will agree after your first catastrophic failure. My basic strategy is to put my applications and data on my SD Card... with some files in my files store... I keep all my mass media storage on my CF Card... It seems to work for me...