Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
BarePaw
Ponderer
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 64
Default Voice Recorder

I've been using the voice recorder on my iPaq to record lectures at school. I can only record about half an hour at a time before I have to stop and transfer the recording to the memory card. Some of my lectures go two hours, so this leads to 4 piece lecture recording with missing sections (assuming I don't fall asleep and forget to restart the recording). Is there a way to set the program to record directly to the memory card, or is there another program that can do this?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067
Default Re: Voice Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarePaw
I've been using the voice recorder on my iPaq to record lectures at school. I can only record about half an hour at a time before I have to stop and transfer the recording to the memory card. Some of my lectures go two hours, so this leads to 4 piece lecture recording with missing sections (assuming I don't fall asleep and forget to restart the recording). Is there a way to set the program to record directly to the memory card, or is there another program that can do this?
In Notes, in its List view (that is, don't open any document), choose Tools/Options, and choose the card to save directly onto in the "Save to" drop-down list.

However, if I were you, I'd use a decent MP3 recorder instead. There're two apps with excellent sound quality: NoteM and VITO. (The third well-known MP3 recorder, Resco, has very bad sound quality and storage card writing problems, so do not get it.)

Both apps have strengths and weaknesses. NoteM is free and consumes little power (not a CPU-intensive app), but lacks any "advanced" features. VITO, on the other hand, is commercial, consumes considerably more power (which is of extreme importance with prolonged recordings), but has tons of additonal features.

As for me, I've chosen NoteM; you should, however, evaluate VITO too to see if it suits your needs.

EDIT:

The links: Resco Audio Recorder: http://www.resco-net.com/audiorec.asp
VITO SoundExplorer 2005: http://vitotechnology.com/en/product...dexplorer.html
NoteM: http://www.freewareppc.com/multimedia/notem.shtml
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,133

Anyone know how to get the sound files *out* of the notes?
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Paul Martin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Anyone know how to get the sound files *out* of the notes?
Kati,

Doesn't it just create a .wav file in your My Documents folder. You could copy out when you sync. It's been so long, I've forgotten.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2005, 03:22 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Darius Wey's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,959

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmradio
Doesn't it just create a .wav file in your My Documents folder. You could copy out when you sync. It's been so long, I've forgotten.
I think Kati's referring to audio embedded in an actual note, not just a normal audio recording, although I may be mistaken. Kati?
__________________
Want the latest news, views, rants and raves? Visit our portal. Wish to contact me? Send me a private message or e-mail.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Lex
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 601

NoteM silenced my PPC speaker every time I played back a sound file with it. I've given up on it and bought Resco Audio Recorder. It works great for me. I only record to main memory. I'm no audiophile but the voice recording sound quality is great if you set it for any of the high quality settings. There are plenty of memory-saving settings at which sound quality is a trade-off. I can hear voice recordings very clearly at the memory saving settings I've chosen.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
I'm no audiophile but the voice recording sound quality is great if you set it for any of the high quality settings. There are plenty of memory-saving settings at which sound quality is a trade-off. I can hear voice recordings very clearly at the memory saving settings I've chosen.
It all depends on which codec you use. The MP3 codec has awful highs (meaning: complete lack of them), as long as quality modes (44 kHz sampling frequency) are concerned. OGG codecs just don't work on decent 400 MHz XScale machines (e.g., the iPAQ 2210) in 32/44.1 kHz sampling frequency modes, so they can't produce decent recordings either (because you need to use 22.5 kHz sampling rate, which severely degrades sound quality). There're some other built-in codecs too in Resco (especially Speex), but they don't produce as good sound quality as MP3.

Of course, this won't apply if you only use 11 kHz sampling frequency: even the MP3 codec in Resco will behave then OK. It's "just" at high-quality modes (44.1 kHz sampling frequency) that it has severely degraded sound quality / won't work at all on current PPC's because of the CPU requirements, compared to both VITO and NoteM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
Anyone know how to get the sound files *out* of the notes?
There's AFAIK no existing tool for it; however, coding one is programmatically not complicated (if there is need, I can code it today evening) because the PWI format is very simple.

1, look for the Unicode string "VoiceNote.wav" in the file; if there is no (other) occurrence, quit
2, add 0x1032 to the position of the trailing "v" in it; seek to this position in the file
3, read up the size of the note (4 bytes in big-endian format; there's a 0x0055 before it)
4, extract the section starting just after these 4 bytes with the size just read to a separate file
5, go to step 1 for the next embedded audio note
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 PM
sheik
Ponderer
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
There's AFAIK no existing tool for it; however, coding one is programmatically not complicated (if there is need, I can code it today evening) because the PWI format is very simple.
If you did code such a utility I suspect it would make plenty of people grateful.
I use NoteM now to record Cantonese samples for my website, but when I first started using Pocket PCs I used the normal note recorder, expecting to be able to extract the WAVs. I remember being most annoyed when I couldn't!

/\dam
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Lex
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 601

Pardon the slight OT but Menneisyys do you have any idea why NoteM would silence the PPC speaker system-wide immediately following playback of any sound file? Exit NoteM, speaker is muted. Developer will not answer email. Many thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 PM.