Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-24-2004, 08:30 PM
od1
Pupil
Default What got you into Pocket PCs?

Pocket PCs have come a long way. Originally they were intended for purposes like to-do lists, reminders, calculators and maybe even a little word processing. But in today's world things have changed. PPCs can be sync'd with personal computers, used as multimedia stations and even connected to wireless networks.

What I'm wondering is what got all of you into the pocket PC world... Whether for work, convenience or because, like me, you gotta have your toys.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:30 PM
sp0om
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to sp0om Send a message via AIM to sp0om Send a message via MSN to sp0om Send a message via Yahoo to sp0om

First, it was an emulator/mp3 player. That was my Jornada 520. Now I have a ipaq 2215 which is mainly for the same, but now with video. I'm going to sell my 2215 once my x50v comes in. The reason why I'm getting the x50v, is because the school I go to has WiFi everywhere. I also have it here at home. The x50v is also one sexy looking ppc, with a lovely VGA screen (drool). I guess I'm just a gadget whore.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:57 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

The thought of a PC I could put in my pocket. :drool:

And my needs are inelaborate enough that the term still fits, imo.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 AM
KimVette
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to KimVette Send a message via AIM to KimVette Send a message via Yahoo to KimVette

What enticed me to buy a PocketPC is the expandability of the iPAQ through sleeves, and the ability to slim down the device when I don't need the extra functionality.

Now that expandability is dead, I am waiting to see what's next.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Vidge
Intellectual

This was easy - I'm a gadget freak, like others here :lol: I have owned 10 Palm OS PDAs in the past 8+ years and I wanted to see what the dark side was all about.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:37 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

I got 4 pockets in my pants and 1 pocket on my shirt.

1 for wallet
1 for car keys
1 for mobile phones
1 for dimage Xt
and 1 is empty.

Just to be fair, I bought a PDA to fill the empty one.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, We (Wife and I) were on a long distance relationship before we got married, and the things that kept us sane are sms, icq and email. And we want to do sms/icq/email 24 hours a day, wherever we are. So we bought PDAs with GPRS, and suddenly life became more bearable

Old 10-25-2004, 02:23 AM
moosemastafoo
Pupil

The short version:
The reason I got one was because a friend showed me one, and I thought it was awesome.

The Long version:
It was at Marching Band Festival '03 in Hawkinsville GA, I think... Anyways, my friend's mom had let her son, Chris, bring the PPC that her work had lent to her, to the festival. After we had performed, he pulled it out and was messing around with it. I saw him holding the thing, an old casiopiea which was the size of an old game boy. Still, I had never seen one like it and I thought it was freakin' awesome. He went into Notes and started writing and making recordings. Again, I was amazed. The night after, I was on the internet and found the Dell Axim X3 (mid-level). I showed chris, and we both wanted one. I was able to convince my parents into buying me one for christmas. He got one as well. The rest is history... sort of...

Kinda funny how such an old device ended up getting me hooked, huh ?

Old 10-25-2004, 04:04 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

I used Palms for years, and shunned PSPCs because the ones I had used were slow and had poor visibility outside... but by the same token, I was growing tired of the PalmOS 3 devices (I had a Palm III and then a Qualcomm pdQ). Then I read about the iPAQ 3650, which captured my imagination: expandable, outdoor color screen, and fast. I decided at that moment I'd go for Pocket PCs, and managed, somehow, to get my iPAQ in June of 2000 during the shortage. I've never looked back.

--janak

Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 AM
KTamas
Thinker

Wanted to buy an Motorola Accompli 008, then i got the chance to buy my father's boss' iPAQ 3630...i bought the 3630

Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

Constant emotional and verbal abuse from Ed Hansberry.