Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Legacy Devices

Old 06-24-2003, 04:35 PM
dkackman
Pupil
Default How PO'd are you that your iPAQ 1910 is a dead end

I bought an iPAQ 1910 a little while after it hit the market. I love the form factor, which to me is VERY important. But in hindsight I would have waited for the 1940.

No SDIO, no PPC 2003, no bluetooth, no WiFi, and apparently no upgrade path whatsoever. :cry:

Old 06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

I'm "annoyed." I love my little 1910, but I've accepted the fact that it was pretty much obsolete the moment I purchased it. I'd love to be able to upgrade to WM2k3 for the XScale optimizations - wouldn't the 1910 be a zippy little machine then? But since the 1910's limited hardware can't take advantage of the other improvements, which have to do with improving the wireless experience, I've decided it just doesn't matter that much.

I've been really happy with my 1910 and it's served me well. Well enough that I don't feel the need to rush out and buy a new Pocket PC right this minute. I'm looking forward to the new JVC models, thinking about Toshiba (despite the bad press it's been getting lately), and anxiously awaiting news of the much-rumored Dell X7. I'm just going to wait and see. In the meantime, me and my 1910 are doing fine.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:52 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Eitle
I'm looking forward to the new JVC models, thinking about Toshiba (despite the bad press it's been getting lately), and anxiously awaiting news of the much-rumored Dell X7. I'm just going to wait and see. In the meantime, me and my 1910 are doing fine.
Just my personal rant, but, based on my past experience with JVC electronics, I don't think I could bring myself to purchase any JVC product ever again. Every single solitary one has died on me. The latest, 3 DVD Disc changer. I will read the reviews on it, but, I've been jaded.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
thomas1973
Intellectual

Quote:
I'm "annoyed." I love my little 1910, but I've accepted the fact that it was pretty much obsolete the moment I purchased it.
I know. But deep inside I was just hoping.... :roll:

Quote:
I'd love to be able to upgrade to WM2k3 for the XScale optimizations - wouldn't the 1910 be a zippy little machine then?
Yes it would :twisted: ! I'm not that desperate for the SDIO (although it would be nice to have that option), but I would like a speed improvement. True, I'm quite happy with the way my 1915 performs, but wouldn't we all like to see it just a bit more instantaneous? They could probably fit PPC2003 on that 16 MB ROM if they really wanted to, but I guess they're hoping for more suckers like me, who voted 'Pretty Mad, but I'll sell my 1910 and get a 1940'... :evil: :lol:

Come on, give us the PPC2003 upgrade! :bad-words:

Thomas.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Enderet
Thinker

Im just glad I never purchased one when I had the urge to do so.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas1973
I'm not that desperate for the SDIO (although it would be nice to have that option)
I think SDIO is a hardware issue. I don't think 1910 owners are ever going to have SDIO .

Old 06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Fishie
Pontificator

I got one as a birthday present may 21th and im pissed.

Oh well, im visiting the US again soon so I might pick me up something then.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:22 PM
TawnerX
Intellectual

-Class action?
-boycott all low end h1940/1930?
-spread the word to stop buying h1910 if upgradability is important?

-What were HP thinking when they release h1910 without giving clear indication that it's non upgradable. Is buyer suppose to be able to read mind which HP PDA wil be upgradable and which won't?

-HP is blaming Microsoft for h1910 non upgradeability. (there is no 2k3 that fit 16MB)

so what does Microsoft have to say about this? They are knowingly agree to bend the upgradeability path for h1910?

.........hmmm......
any expert?

Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Crystal Eitle
Sage

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I was just happy to get an iPaq for under $300. If I recall correctly, HP didn't even design the 19xx form factor - it was some Asian manufacturer that shopped the design around to various companies. HP probably didn't expect it to take off the way it did. Now that it has, they're extending the form factor to the 1930 and 1940 series, both of which have SDIO.

Since the 1910 has absolutely no wireless capability, I'm not that upset that I can't upgrade it to WM2k3. The only thing that bothers me, a little, is that this will probably have a negative effect on its resale value. But I might not even sell mine anyway, at least not on eBay. I'll probably give it to a family member or sell it to a friend for a nominal cost.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:38 PM
Skoobouy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Skoobouy

Haha. Hey Fishie, let me know how things turn out in the US. Remember, if you need to unload anything, you've got a pal in Leuven with no PDA.