Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Woe is my Computer...Woe is Me

I must have done something to anger the Unforgiving Computer Gods. I wanted to have the Shuttle SS51G's fan stop spinning when I put the computer into suspend mode, so their tech support suggested I update to the newest BIOS. I did, and now I can't boot XP any longer. :evil: I called their tech support and was told "Fix XP! You just need to fix XP! Go to Microsoft.com and search for "fix XP" then do it!". I expressed my frustration that I had a perfectly fine copy of XP working an hour early, and that their BIOS update was the problem, and I was told that I should just accept "the truth" and "fix XP". 8O I swore a string of curses after I hung up the phone - I've never encountered tech support so rude and unhelpful before! I should have just bought a freakin' Dell...damn that wee Shuttle! So I'm likely going to spend the majority of my day fighting with this instead of doing anything productive.

For those that care, I've tried:

a) Flashing back to the previous BIOS (1.35)
b) Re-flashing the newest BIOS (1.38)
c) Powering off and back on again after the Flash
d) Setting BIOS defaults back to "safe mode"
e) Flicking almost every BIOS switch available

When I boot in safe mode, the system is hanging on \system32\drivers\Mup.sys. Google and Microsoft.com provided very little in the way of help on exactly what Mup.sys is and what it does. Any ideas?

I haven't tried the Windows XP "repair a current install" option because I want to try to salvage this install before I try mucking with the repair tools - they're pretty horrific and not very easy to use.

Any ideas? FDISK standing by... :roll: