Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-21-2002, 03:19 AM
Cortex
Philosopher
Default Is the Dell Axim too BIG??

I've been looking at the pics of the Axim compared to the new iPaqs and it boggles my mind that people are obsessing about the size.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/dell/aximx5/X5-3.htm

My biggest gripe is COMPARE THE DELL TO DUAL SLOT DEVICES!!!!

Strap that hunker sleave on that iPaq!!! and we'll see who's big!

8O

Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 AM
GoldKey
Pontificator

The option I really wanted is not there. It looks just a little bigger than I would like. But until I have it in my hand, I really can't say. But given its price AND the fact that it is dual slot, I am fine with it.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:54 AM
enemy2k2
Theorist

The price and CF slot more than make up for it's size disadvantage for me Of course I'll have to wait until I have one in my hands and am able to slip (hopefully not jam) it into my pocket

Old 11-21-2002, 05:43 AM
jngold_me
Thinker

Though not much smaller and lighter, the Toshiba e740 looks a heck of alot slimmer than the Axim. Too bad the 740 has been plagued with problems.

Old 11-21-2002, 05:55 AM
jeasher
Intellectual

I saw the video of the Axim and my first thought was it's a brick. Thing is though, I'm attracted to the smaller form factor of the V35/H1910 so the Dell can't win. But it's not even a valid question because comparing the Dell to the Viewsonic is like apples to oranges. Only price is the same.

I for one am willing to sacrifice memory, function, and speed for something I can stick in my suit pocket comfortably. But for the power user, the Dell should be a no-brainer.

Old 11-21-2002, 06:32 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngold_me
Though not much smaller and lighter, the Toshiba e740 looks a heck of alot slimmer than the Axim. Too bad the 740 has been plagued with problems.
Yeah - the e740 was my second choice, but I got the Dell because:

1. better screen
2. better support (I've seen lots of complaints about Audiovox/Toshiba)
3. bigger ROM "just in case" for PocketPC 2003/4
4. better battery.

Things I'm not getting that would have been nice, though with the e740:

1. more appealing visually
2. I don't know that I'll need it, but I like the idea of the VGA-out and USB keyboard port on the expansion pack
3. the bugs are at least documented

I have to say that the 4" screen of the e550g almost sucked me in (I know it doesn't have a better resolution, but I think just seeing things *bigger* might be nice), also a lot of *its* visual appeal is that it looks like less of the case is "wasted" (ie, not much case surrounding the screen), but there've been lots of dust & battery problems, and complaints about support.

So I ordered the Dell.

Old 11-21-2002, 09:43 AM
jizmo
Thinker

I was looking eagerly forward to Axim X5 and was a bit disappointed when I saw the first real pictures of it. I knew it'd be a little bigger than the competitors, but .. err .. it's just huge.

I had difficulties with the size of my former iPAQ 37xx, I just always felt a little clumsy with it. Actually I wasn't even going to purchase another PocketPC after selling that device, but after seeing the Viewsonic, I fell in love with it. And the new iPAQ 1910 is even smaller. Both look so sexy, efficient, slim.. Just lovely.

Dell is a very good option, and I can't blame one buying it, expecially at that price. But to me, it's just a step back in PPC devices. After all, we've already won Palm in almost every aspect, expect size. I'd find it hard to justify the size over it's features compared to Viewsonic if I was buying it.

I believe that the Viewsonic / iPAQ 1910 have more than enough speed and other options to boost with, and with their new smaller physical size and price tag, they really beat the pants down from Palm devices. I myself wouldn't be very proud to show the Dell to any Palm fanatic, althought I don't know anyone .

For me the looks and feel is very important part of the things I buy. I choose my clothes, tv-sets, furnitures so that I'm willing to spend a little extra if it just is visually more attractive. Naturally the capabilities of the devices are top priority also, but I'd choose Ferrari that goes 80mph over Morris Mini that goes 120mph any day.

When iPAQ 1910 is stacked of top of Dell, iPAQ looks like the protective screen lid of the latter. It's just that much thinner. Call me vain, but for me, that's the thing that really counts.

/jizmo

Old 11-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Rirath
Pontificator

It'd be nice if we could hold off on this type of poll until the device was actually released and people had them. For the people calling it a brick, I'm convinced you simply don't realize the scale of the video/picture you're looking at.

As I've seen posted before, this forum really seems to be populated by art students now and fewer techies. I don't think I've ever heard such an uproar about the looks of a device, which looks perfectly normal. I'm having my doubts this discussion will ever die for the lifespan of the Dell and on to the next unit.

If you're willing to give up memory, power, speed, and even money to get a smaller device, that's fine, feel free to do so. But that is no excuse to call a perfectly normal sized device a brick just because the V35 and such are exceptionally smaller than previous units.

Old 11-24-2002, 06:56 PM
Cortex
Philosopher

I only partially agree its premature to discuss the size of the Axim.

The photos they initially picked for their marketing campain were bad choices since I think it makes the Axim look bulkier than it is. Many of the photo's make it look as though it is two-toned when it is actually curved and the shadows are enhanced.

This initial impression, coupled with the release of the ultraslim 1910 and viewsonic -- which do not have dual slots -- influenced peoples subconscious behavior by reinforcing the desire to show the device is bulky. All of the photo comparisons of the device I have seen thus far, are biased to do so. There have been no comparisons to dual slot devices! The interesting question is why? Did the inital photos influence people behavior to such an extent?

In reality it will probably be the same size as a the Audiovox

Maestro/Toshiba e570:
Length: 4.92 in
Width: 3.05 in
Depth: 0.69 in
Weight: 6.3 oz

Casio e200:
Length: 5.13 in
Width: 3.19 in
Depth: 0.69 in
Weight: 6.7oz.

Siemens Loox:
Length: 5.2 in
Width: 3.2 in
Depth: 0.7 in
Weight 6.2 oz

Toshiba Genio e550:
Length: 4.92 in
Width: 3.03 in
Depth: 0.63 in
Weight: 6 oz

Dell Axim:
Length: 5.04 in
Width: 3.21 in
Depth: 0.71 in
Weight: 6.9 oz

Although it is the heaviest thus far, it is HALF the price!

Can anyone think of any other dual slot devices??

Old 11-24-2002, 07:51 PM
Cortex
Philosopher

I forgot the size of the iPaq with standard CF sleeve...

Lenght: 5.11in
Width: 3.40 in
Depth 1.05 in
Weight: 9.36 oz OR 0.585 lbs OMG!!!

TALK ABOUT A BRICK!!!!