Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2002, 07:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default flipster!� Personal Multimedia Player

http://www.pogoproducts.com/flipster.html

What an interesting little device! At first I thought it was a cell phone, but the Flipster is a multimedia playback device with some very cool features. A Pocket PC can do everything this thing can, but this Windows CE 3.0-based device would make a perfect gift for someone that primarily wants an audio/video player, but doesn't need the data-rich features of a Pocket PC. The Flipster comes with up to 128 MB of internal RAM and supports expansion through MMC and SD cards. It's capable of playing back MP3 audio, WMA audio, and WMV video on it's little 160 x 234 pixel resolution screen (and photos too!). It has a removable LiIon battery, and will last for 8 hours playing MP3 files - not bad at all. It has basic PIM functionality as well because it syncs with Outlook - and even includes the game of Tetris. You can check out the spec sheet for more.

I'm writing about digital video devices in the Faster Smarter Digital Video book, so this looks like a perfect fit. I'm supposed to be getting a unit for review, so I'll let you know what I think of it. Here's the official blurb:

"Flipster!� Personal Multimedia is the World's first dedicated portable multimedia player equipped with Microsoft� Windows Media Player�. Users can enjoy listening to CD quality audio, watch videos on the Flipster color LCD display, record and listen to voice memos and live recordings, store and view high resolution still images, and even play games! Flipster has a unique folding clamshell design, similar to a cell phone, and is powered by a re-chargeable lithium ion snap on battery. Content is transferred to and from Flipster and the desktop computer using USB. Content is stored on its 64MB or 128MB internal memory or on removable postage stamp sized MMC or SD cards."

� First of its kind Windows Media Video Player
� 64MB (Two Hour) and 128MB (Four Hour) Models Available.
� Unique Folding Clamshell Design
� Internal Mic and Speaker (WAV VOICE REC)
� Video Formats: WMA, ASF
� Audio Formats: WMA, MP3, AAC
� Digital Image Formats: JPG, BMP, GIF
� 2.5" Color TFT Display
� SD/MMC Memory Expansion Slot

If you're interested in purchasing one, one of Amazon's "zShops" carries the 128 MB version for $379 US (affiliate link).