Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bypass the recording execs

We rant long and hard here about the music industry, in how they lock us out of downloadable content at reasonable prices, lock the artists into the whims of the market place and cut them out of the major profits. Well, at least one artist has said "enough!"

You may remember Aimee Mann. She was the lead singer for "'Til Tuesday" and sang their one hit wonder "Voices Carry" in the 80's. Well, she is back. Since 1999 when she backed away from "the industry", she has released three albums, the soundtrack for Magnolia (bad movie, great soundtrack), "Bachelor No. 2" and just this past week, "Lost in Space." There are actually a few others in the early-mid 90's that I haven't listened to yet. My point though is, she is doing her own thing. Self producing and selling to the public via her web site. Her new site doesn't have much info beyond the new release, but her old web site with tons if information is still available.

You know of anyone else that isn't an unknown and has decided to do it alone? I'd love to hear about him or her. I'd much rather give him or her $15 for a CD knowing they are getting a decent cut of the profits, than lining the pockets of the big execs that schmooze with MTV and the radio networks to come up with the hit du jour. I am hoping Mrs. Mann is the first of many to cut her ties with record labels and do it alone.