¹ Photoshop Elements Support: A Sad, Sorry State of Affairs - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Photoshop Elements Support: A Sad, Sorry State of Affairs

Every couple of months I fire up the organizer side of Photoshop Elements 4.0, and I usually end up getting frustrated with how sluggish it is and I quit after a few minutes (I enjoy using the editor side though). A few weeks ago I thought I'd try the online photo ordering process, to see how well it works for Canadians and if it's something I can recommend to my somewhat computer-challenged relatives. Picasa is a great program, but the only option for online photo ordering it offers is BonusPrint, and you know how I feel about that company (they never did respond to me, the cowards). At any rate, I dragged a few photos over to the online printing drop box. Then I found a big photo collage I had created with LumaPix FotoFusion and tried to add it to my online order. Here's the error I received:

If you look closely at that image, you can see that the JPG I'm trying to add to my order is 12.2 MB in size. It's ultra high-resolution (70 megapixels) because I print the collages at 16 x 20" in size. The Adobe Photoshop Elements error claims files have to be smaller than 54 MB, which my 12.2 MB file clearly is. So we have a nice, fat, juicy bug here. I wanted to report it to Adobe, and looked through their support pages. I was stunned to see there's absolutely no way to send an email directly to Adobe tech support to report this issue, and no phone number to call. I could register for a premiere support package, but I'd have to pay for that.

Wondering if perhaps they did support in the forums, I looked at that page. No mention of Photoshop Elements anywhere. Why would a Photoshop Elements user go into the Photoshop and ImageReady section, since both are high-end applications clearly not geared toward them? Yet that's exactly where the Photoshop Elements forums are. Once I found the forums, I was disappointed - the "forums" are these plain text ASII-looking things from 1994. I could see no involvement from official Adobe techs either, though maybe they are there and not announcing themselves as such. Either way, as a Photoshop Elements user with a legitimate bug, I'm unsure of where to go with this information.

As a side note, Photoshop Elements 4.0 has been out for nearly a year now (Sept. 27th, 2005), yet to my knowledge there hasn't been a single software update for it with bug fixes or new features. It's not like there isn't room for massive improvement (especially in the speed department), so this is yet another disappointment. Is Photoshop CS any better with updates? I haven't used Photoshop since version 6.0. Any other Photoshop Elements users out there, and what do you think of the support, or lack thereof?