¹ Building a MCE PC...some questions - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Building a MCE PC...some questions

Well, after being seduced to buy an Xbox 360 soon after it comes out, I'm thinking about building a Media Center PC and using the Xbox 360 as an extender to our main TV.

I do have some questions though.
I currently have Time Warner Digital Cable, and the Time Warner DVR. This lets me record two digital shows at the same time. I really like that.
So I'm going to give up the TW DVR of course, but I want to keep digital cable. What do I need in order to have TW digital cable work with the MCE PC? Will connecting the coax in to a digital set top box, and putting that output into a standard TV tuner card work? Would I then need to turn of OSD on the TW box? (is that possible?) OR, would I need to get a digital TV tuner card? will that work with TW digital cable?

Also, I'd really like to have (at least) two tuners, or rather, I'd like to be able to record two shows at once. Now in my thinking, that doesn't sound possible unless I pay for two digital cable boxes from Time Warner (significantly more per month). The TW DVR only has one coax in port, so it must split the signal inside. Would I be able to have dual tuners on the MCE PC without paying for two digital cable boxes?

I guess those are my main questions. I'm also considering a HDTV card. Am I understanding correctly that MCE 2005 Rollup 2 allows 2 analog and 2 HD cards?

Also let me know if I'm forgetting anything in my logic here.

Thanks.