¹ Reader Meetup Roundup - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Adam Krebs
Contributing Editor
Default Reader Meetup Roundup

Courtesy IWAPZ
Image from IWAPZ

So Microsoft put together a series of events in New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle (a fourth was planned for Minneapolis, but was subsequently canceled) to showcase the new Zunes, and I didn't make it to any of them. Lucky for me, we have the Internet—that magical thing that allows me to live vicariously through other people—which is almost as good as being there. Stefan from IWantAPinkZune.com has a great write-up (or two) from the Seattle leg in which he shares how utterly cool these new devices are. I had originally planned to attend the NYC one, but due to prior obligations, I couldn't make it. That meant that my aptly-named "Questions to ask Cesar.txt" would sit idly on my desktop with no useful purpose. Thankfully, Stefan offered up a post in which he asked readers to submit their most burning questions. And submit I did.
Following the event (and presumably after the effects of the free alcohol wore off), Stefan posted his observations, describing an interface that "pops" (sans lag), and a device that feels both "solid and well built" and "luxurious." I want. He also managed to answer a few of my lingering questions, specifically "will Zune firmware1 to firmware2 sharing work?" (no) and "what's the pre-loaded content?" (it's cool)—good enough. I can't wait.

A commenter going by John answered a lot of my other questions, and (I think) confirmed what I'd dreaded: the 5-star rating system and flagging are dead, replaced by a heart graphic. A full heart means "I like this song", a broken heart means "I don't like this song" (why would you keep a song you didn't like?). You can also leave this blank if you're so inclined. I'm not entirely sure, but I got the impression this means the death of flagging as well. OK, so I'm not so concerned about the 5-star system (I think I like the new idea better), but the lack of flagging is really disheartening, as it's one of my most used features. If this is true, I'm going to be leaving my current Zune at firmware1 for some time.

Otherwise, the new Zunes sound amazing, and I can't wait 'til the 13th.