¹ Zunerama Reviews of the Zune 80 and Zune 8 - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Zunerama Reviews of the Zune 80 and Zune 8

http://www.zunerama.com/

Harvey over at Zunerama was quick out of the gate with his reviews of the Zune 8 and the Zune 80. There's also a nice walk-through of the Zune Marketplace software with lots of screen shots. Check 'em out!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:42 PM
BugDude10
Theorist
Default Regarding the 80...

Hmm. I was all ready to stop at my local gadget store tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon to get myself the new 80, but...

No EQ? Crappy two-choice rating system? No auto-playlist?

I really want a shiny new hard-drive player, but not one with a reduced feature set. I am no fan of the iPod series, but it seems that Apple at least *adds* new features to its new releases.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugDude10 View Post
No EQ? Crappy two-choice rating system? No auto-playlist?
Yeah, those are the big three. The default sound on the Zune 80 and Zune 8 I have sounds quite good, so I don't miss the EQ - but I suppose if you're into a specific type of music that really demands a different EQ, you might want to have it. The two-choice rating system? Probably a big deal for people who were heavy raters - I never was.

For me, the lack of an auto-playlist function is brutal...how else am I supposed to get all my newest music, videos, and photos onto my Zune, automatically, when I dock? Their new system is ridiculous and will be the subject of MANY front page rants from yours truly.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
BugDude10
Theorist

The missing EQ feature is not a *huge* problem for me -- I just think it's handy if your source music could benefit from a few tweaks (like old stuff hastily slapped onto CD rather than being remastered first) or if you're using 'phones that could use a little boost somewhere. I don't need 13 different EQ options, just let me boost the highs and lows a bit to my own taste.

Beyond that, it's just the general principle that it seems that MS is reducing the feature set rather than expanding it -- not that I'd care about the Zune 80 adding too many new features, I'm just excited about the capacity and the size!

As for the other issues: Go get 'em, Jason!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Tim Williamson
Editor Emeritus

So it doesn't even have a list of EQ presets???! RUSRS Microsoft??!!!

I was actually thinking of checking out the Zune, but no EQ, no smart playlists, and a 2 star rating system definitely break it for me. It seems like Microsoft is turning into Apple with their tendency to dumb down on options...