Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Instant Messaging Bible Update:MS Smartphone (WM Standard) i

It was some four months ago that I�ve published the definitive guide and comparison of all instant messaging solutions for the Pocket PC, the Windows Mobile Instant Messaging (IM) Bible.

The constant evolution of the clients (for example, the recent release of the really promising and, on Windows Mobile, except for Microsoft Portrait unprecedented and unrivalled Fring client) and the MS Smartphone (WM 6 Standard) platform have forced me to embark on an update to the roundup.

In this roundup, I review all the IM solutions working on the MS Smartphone platform along with listing the PPC-specific changes too. That is, this article will appeal to both Pocket PC and MS Smartphone users. In addition, if you�re interested in Voice over IP (VoIP) solutions, you REALLY will want to read the related section: I also review Fring, the (on Windows Mobile) brand new and simply GREAT Skype, MSN , Google Talk and standard SIP-compliant application working just great even over EDGE or more advanced (with at least 2 upload slots) GPRS connections.

(the icons of the reviewed apps on my HTC Vox. I haven�t put the icon of Causerie Mobile Messenger 1.0.9 there because of its incompatibility with the platform � despite what the developer states, it doesn�t seem to be compatible with Smartphones.)

Again, this article is a three-in-one roundup:
  1. a FULL review & roundup of all IM solutions running on the MS Smartphone
  2. a review of what has been changed in the last four months: Most of the reviewed applications have been updated in the meantime. While these updates are pretty minor with all the titles, it�s still worth checking them out as some of the missing functionalities or bugs have been fixed in these.
  3. a review of the completely new and groundbreaking Fring client, compared to the other clients offering similar functionality.

Note that you REALLY will want to read the original Windows Mobile Instant Messaging Bible. It�s in there that I�ve thoroughly described all the IM clients I elaborate on in here � except for, of course, the brand new Fring. That is, do read the original Bible. Note that I�ve already updated its chart to include the new information on both the new versions and the Smartphone-related information.

In addition to my Pocket PC�s (where I�ve tested how the Pocket PC-related functionality has been improved), I�ve used two MS Smartphone devices to test the IM clients on: a WM5 AKU3 176*220 HTC s310 (Oxygen) and a WM6 QVGA HTC s710 (Vox). On the latter, I�ve paid special attention to supporting the built-in keyboard and the dynamic orientation switching support � in addition to the QVGA support, of course.

IM+ 4.41 (PPC) / 1.38 (SP)

(a generic Smartphone in-conversation screenshot, showing Unicode chars, smileys, clickable links and local T9 input:)

Updates, differences

PPC-wise, there aren�t much differences between version 4.41 and the old, 4.3 version. There is a new setting for filtering out messages coming from users NOT in the Contacts list.

Also, there are some other, minor enhancements; for example, while losing the connection, the current conversations are all closed in the PPC version (but not with SP). This isn�t a problem any more with the PPC version either, though � past messages are redisplayed upon resuming the connection. However, the (minor) problems with the earlier version are still present: non-clickable links (this is mostly a problem with the SP version because of the lack of the copy / paste functionality on the OS (and on IM+�s) level) and the lack of the mobile flag.

Differences between the PPC and the SP versions

The PPC and the Smartphone versions (current, tested versions: 4.41 and 1.38, respectively) are pretty much the same. Some of the differences between the PPC and the SP versions:
  1. There�s no Today plug-in (as with most of the other IM clients - the lack of the Today plug-in, the system-level notification capabilities, copy/paste and notification bubbles are the most important differences between the two platforms)
  2. There�re no copy / paste capabilities (which is pretty much problematic if you�d like to follow links as there, as with the PPC version, are no clickable links either)
  3. Logging capabilities are completely missing � the Messages settings dialog has no way of enabling it, unlike the �Save history� checkbox (unticked by default) in the �General� settings dialog of the PPC version. This is certainly VERY bad!

However, ever cloud has a silver lining: the SP version is $10 cheaper ($29.95) than the PPC one, while (apart from the problems listed above) and even pretty much usable.

Other screenshots
In the main Chat windows, there�s no Roster shortcut and there�re no Edit (Copy / Paste) capabilities either. It�s not possible to quickly switch to other accounts either, other than selecting Close and, then, using the list control at the top to switch between active chats.

Settings: Alerts (here: Notifications) No wakeup / notification by default; must be enabled by hand. The PPC version uses system-level notifications (1 2), which is certainly a better approach.

Background running, as with the PPC version, must also be explicitly enabled. Otherwise � again, as with the PPC version, in which this mode must also be manually enabled � it won�t wake up.

Network: the same (PPC version HERE)

Fortunately, the SP version, as with the PPC one, dynamically resizes its GUI upon Portrait / Landscape switching and has no problems with the Vox keyboard (it, of course, works great in both phonepad modes, should your SP lack a QWERTY keyboard).

Note that in order to access the SP version of the app, you will need to either click the "Change your device!") link at the top right or go straight to HERE.

Verdict

While it�s still pretty expensive (albeit the SP version is a bit cheaper), it�s highly recommended if you don�t need clickable links and logging. If you do need the latter, look for something else.

Agile Messenger 3-74

(The second is a 176*220 HTC s310 (Oxygen) screenshot)

Updates, differences

As far as the problems with the old version are concerned, unfortunately, it still only allows for sending images only. While it also supports built-in (back) cameras (along with adding a message to these images; the results can be seen in HERE), it still doesn�t support sending arbitrary files, let alone receiving anything. Logging is still NOT automatic and must be initiated by hand.

The SP version seems to offer exactly the same goodies as the PPC one; for example, voice message recording and sending. It MIGHT be able to receive and (auto-)play voice messages (see THIS screenshot of the Media tab of Settings).

The SP version has Edit capabilities (unlike, say, the SP version of IM+); both Copy (only copying the currently selected row, as is the case with the PPC version) and Paste work as expected. This is good news as, unlike with the PPC version, links can NOT be invoked upon, for example, pressing the Action key on them (not even when a message ONLY contains a link and nothing else).

Logging-wise, there�s still no automatic logging � you must still save your messages by hand. The new History & Groups tab in Preferences doesn�t have any related checkbox either.

Fortunately, the SP version, as with the PPC one, dynamically resizes its GUI upon Portrait / Landscape switching and has no problems with the Vox keyboard (it, of course, works great in both phonepad modes, should your SP lack a QWERTY keyboard).

Finally, as far as initiating conference calls is concerned, it seems it�s, in theory, possible to invite other people to conference conversations; however, it�s just impossible to select any other participant on the Smartphone. With conference calls initiated from other clients, the messages coming from the non-originating party aren�t displayed in Agile, unlike in the desktop clients � that is, it�s useless. In this regard, it behaves exactly the same way as with version 65.

Verdict

The lack of automatic logging and file transfer capabilities is still a major pain in the back.

imov Messenger 2.22ee

(Note that most remarks refer to the Enterprise version - the free one is considerably less powerful.)

Updates, differences

As far as the differences between the new (2.22ee) and the old, last time reviewed version (2.12e) are concerned, there are few of them.

First, fortunately, the MAJOR problem with the pixel doubled suffering from heavy ClearType with VGA displays is gone as can be seen in THIS screenshot. Great � now, it�s highly recommended for VGA users (unlike version 2.12).

However, there is still no smiley input and text copy / paste is still not implemented (not even in the PPC version). Unfortunately, the same stands for file transfer. Finally, logging must still be manually started (Menu / 5 Log) in every single conversation you�d like to log (log files are stored in the root directory of the PDA in a 8-bit format. This also means accented Unicode characters will be lost and converted to their non-accented ASCII counterpart - if any.) Note that Menu / Actions / Log Messages (in the userlist page) is supposed to enable logging for all subsequent conversations; this currently (with the currently available, 2.22ee version) doesn't work, but already works with the in-development beta I was sent by the developer, which means it MIGHT be supported in the future.

Note that the currently available SP version is the lack for the dynamic Portrait- Landscape switching support (as opposed to both Agile and IM+). This will be VERY bad news for Vox users that very often slide out and in the keyboard (screenshots: 1 2). If you know you will switch the orientation, start with Landscape mode because, otherwise, you won�t see what you type after switching from Portait to Landscape as can be seen in the previous screenshot. Then, you �only� lose part of the Portrait screen estate (1 2; after switching back to Landscape, there, everything will be OK). The problem is present, but to a much lesser degree, on the PPC platform too (example of the results of a dynamic rotation HERE. After this, rotating back on the PPC didn�t help either � as opposed to the SP version).

The developer has already fixed this (to a certain degree) but I don�t know when the new version is made online.

The SP version is almost exactly the same as the PPC one, which is certainly very good news, given that the SP port of, for example, IM+, is clearly inferior to the PPC one. This means all the goodies of the PPC version are present in the SP version too; for example, clickable links.

Other niceties & screenshots

There is a very nice feature in imov messenger not present in any other IM product: Location Based Services, which must be explicitly enabled & the related routing capabilities to other users (in THIS screenshot, without coordinates being given; also note the �Route From / To� menu items in the bottom right). It makes it possible to know the distance from another user. I haven�t tested this, but if it�s correctly implemented (for example, with GPS support � that is, not using static coordinates but dynamic ones), it can be of GREAT help in helping people track each other.

OctroTalk 1.19

(PPC screenshot; roster screenshot with session list)

This product is still in beta phase, meaning you can freely download and use it.

Updates, differences

There are some differences but, in general, the client hasn�t received really groundbreaking features. Its VoIP features, in addition, are clearly inferior to those of the Fring client. For example, the Yahoo Messenger-compliance hasn�t been implemented (they have enabled it in an earlier beta � but it didn�t work then; maybe this is why it has been dropped in the meantime.) Also, send to MSN doesn�t allow anything (the same is the case on SP � it seems it only works with Google Talk (it�s enabled in there � haven�t checked its functionality though). It also lets for file sharing � I haven�t really checked this functionality either (it surely doesn�t work over MSN).

Chat preferences don�t let for setting many things (PPC is the same). It�s not possible to select / copy anything.

There are no differences.

Fring (version as of 07/06/2007)

(The same on PPC; in-call with MSN)

I�m absolutely sure you will LOVE this client if you�d like to make calls to / receive calls from your MSN / Skype / Google Talk / standard SIP buddies.

It�s better than both OctroTalk and Skype for Windows Mobile in some respects. First, it�s compatible with several VoIP protocols, unlike with the two other, which are one-protocol only (Google Talk and Skype, respectively). Second, it uses its own, really bandwidth-friendly VoIP protocols instead of the bandwidth-intensive native protocols used by both OctroTalk and Skype for Windows Mobile. This means it works even over slowish GPRS connections, assuming they use at least two slots in each direction (the traditional 4/1 down/up slot-setup isn�t really good because of the slow upstream, which will just not be fast enough for upstream voice).

Using its own, low-bandwidth protocol also means it uses a central server to convert between the internal protocol it uses and the official protocol used by MSN, Skype and Google Talk. This introduces some additional delay, which, in cases, can be as high as 3 seconds (my measurements) from Europe (using the server in the UK). In many cases, however, the latency is considerably lower. That is, give the service a try to find out whether you can live with the latency.

Downloading, installing

This client differs from other ones in that you must provide your SMS-capable cell number to the download page HERE. After registering, you'll immediately get an SMS with the source URL like the one in THIS screenshot. Just click the link and let the default Web browser (in most cases, Internet Explorer Mobile) download it. Make sure you let it also run the CAB file so that it is installed. After starting the program after install, just enter any username / password pair in the starting screen to register. After this, all you need is setting up your MSN / Google Talk / Skype etc. login credentials, as with the other IM clients.

Bandwidth usage

As has already been pointed out, Fring is especially good at conversing bandwidth. When it senses it�s on a cell (not over Wi-Fi or, what is equivalent to the client, USB ActiveSync) connection, it uses the least bandwidth-consuming vocoder, which is even better than the GSM codec used by MS Portrait, one of the most advanced Windows Mobile client in this respect. Over Wi-Fi (and USB ActiveSync), it�ll use a more bandwidth-consuming vocoder with conversely better sound quality.

I�ve made some VERY serious tests of the client with three protocols and compared the result to those of OctroTalk, Skype for Windows Mobile and MS Portrait. Fring turned out to be the MOST bandwidth-efficient VoIP solution for Windows Mobile. This means if you MUST do VoIP on your handheld and you don�t have an unlimited data plan (but pay a LOT for data usage), Fring is your best choice.

Chatting-wise, it doesn�t have much to show off with (no logging, no smiley support in any direction, no clickable links (not even in the PPC version), no copy/paste on SP � it works on PPC). It has no problems with dynamic orientation changing. Note that, while it doesn�t use the standard mobile flag either, it uses a quick description showing the client uses a mobile device.

It seems there�s no difference between the two versions.

Mundu IM 4.0.137

Updates, differences

Mundu IM has received some (much inferior to all other IM products � except for Fring) basic smiley support in both directions. Also, it now supports MSN avatars.

Its camera support also works on the Vox (1 2 3 4).

All the past goodies are here; for example, auto-logging and built-in viewing of past conversations.

There�s no separate PPC version; that is, the PPC needs to run the SP version. This also means there�s absolutely no difference between the two versions.

Webmessenger Mobile Instant Messenger 2.6 build 070702

Updates, differences

Fortunately, the VGA font size problems are fixed and one of the biggest problems with the old version, the inability to position the cursor in the input field is also fixed. As far as VGA devices are concerned, however, some of the input fields are still oversized as can be seen in HERE. This isn�t a problem on Smartphones (see THIS)

The PC-part Skype plug-in is still required, should you want to chat with Skype users. It still doesn�t support copying text to the clipboard � and there is still no for example logging.

The two ports are exactly the same.

Screenshots

Settings dialogs: Contacts, Connections, Notifications (1 2; on the MS Smartphone), Misc, IM Networks. There are some other changes; for example, setting the status is can not only be done in the old way but in another, specific tab as well.

Causerie Mobile Messenger 1.0.9

The latest, current version, 1.0.9 was released some days after my publishing the review (which discussed 1.0).

SP-wise, while the developers state it�s SP-compliant, it didn�t work on my SP devices (see screenshots & more info in the comparison chart).

Live Messenger

Unfortunately, it seems it will never be released as a separately downloadable IM client. While some people (see for example THIS) state it�s available at Microsoft�s TechNet for download, I don�t think it�s true.

Of course, there are �hacks� linked for example XDA-Developers, MoDaCo and HowardForums letting for installing it on any WM5+ device, but I�m not allowed to link these. Hope you understand.

The SP version is as advanced as the PPC version:
  1. file sending / receiving
  2. voice clip sending / receiving
  3. conference support: 1 2 3; an in-conference screenshot
  4. emoticon input / output

Unfortunately, the problems and shortcomings of the PPC versions are also here: no logging etc. The settings dialog is similarly simple. Furthermore, it doesn�t support copy / paste (missing from the platform) with a specific, SP-only menu � bad news!

Web-based services

Note that there is also a Web-based service at http://mobile.live.com/GoLive (just enter the address into a PPC / SP browser as can be seen in HERE). I haven�t included it in the review as it is, being a Web-based service with all its problems (need for manual refresh; no callback; huge bandwidth usage etc), NOT recommended on any Windows Mobile devices. Incidentally, at the time of this writing, it didn�t work on any of my Smartphones or Pocket PC�s � only a gradient background was displayed as can be seen in HERE (HTC Vox Smartphone) and HERE (HTC Universal PPC). Note that there�s a tutorial to GoLive HERE. Alternatively, you may also want to give a try to eBuddy Mobile, which offers a way of accessing MSN, AIM and Yahoo.

Verdict

As with the Pocket PC, giving GENERIC advice on picking the BEST IM client on Smartphones is impossible without knowing your requirements and preferences. I can, therefore, as with the PPC case, only give you some generic advice:
  1. if you only need to use textual messaging, use the built-in Live Messenger (when available) � in general, it�s the most powerful MSN client, unless you need logging and copy/paste support. Should you need logging, your best choice is either imov (hope it will REALLY receive auto-logging; that is, where you don�t need to (re)enable logging before your conversations � the developer promises it) or Mundu IM � or, if manual logging requests are OK, Agile.
  2. if you don�t need logging, you may want to check out any other client
  3. if you need to use voice (especially over restricted / slow / non-unlimited connections OR with strictly MSN parties � there are no other clients supporting MSN VoIP), then, Fring is the way to go. It works even over EDGE connections astonishingly well and, unlike the two alternatives, doesn�t consume much bandwidth. You, however, may encounter increased latency, if it gets on your nerves, then, switch back to other, direct alternatives.