Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Q&A: Microsoft Showcases New User Interface for Office �12� Core Applications

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...13OfficeUI.mspx

"Thousands of software developers at the sold-out Microsoft Professional Developers Conference 2005 today got a preview of a new, redesigned user interface (UI) that will debut in several core applications of the next version of Microsoft Office, code-named Office �12.� While the Office applications have increased tremendously in power and added functionality in response to customer needs, the core UI has remained substantially unchanged for nearly 20 years. The command bar in Microsoft Office Word 2003, for example, looks much the same as the command bar in Word 2.0 did in 1998. In fact, the new UI is the biggest, most visible change to the way the core Office applications work since the introduction of the toolbar in 1997. To learn more about the new UI, how it will make it easier for information workers to do great work, and why Microsoft decided to implement the transformation, PressPass spoke with Julie Larson-Green, group program manager for the Office User Experience at Microsoft."

I thought this Q&A made for a very interesting read, because this is the first time I've seen the Office team take any real risks - and I applaud them for it! Microsoft needs to move forward to create applications that are easier to use and make more sense to end users, and re-thinking their approach to the user interface is a critical part of that process.