Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2005, 08:03 PM
rdef
Pupil
Default How to make the Smartphone automatically check for pop mail

I recently purchased a SMT 5600, and I could not seem to get it to automatically check for pop mail in a reliable way.

I searched several forums for a solution, including this one, but could not find any, but I did find that others were having the same problem-sometimes the phone would automically check for pop email at the specified interval, and other times it would not.

With some determination and a few hours of hypothesis and conclusion, I believe I have figure it out.

In order for the system to automically check for pop mail for a specific account, that account must be "active." That is, it must be running in memory. To do this, just make sure that it's the last account you use before leaving the email application.

Example, assume you have several accounts setup on your phone: One for Outlook mail, one for text messages and one for a pop account called "Cox". In order for the system to automatically check for mail on the Cox account, that account must be the last one you use before you go to the home screen or launch another app. You'll notice that if you leave the mail app this way and go the task manager after leaving the mail app, you'll see an app running called "Cox". This is what you want.

I have found that if the Cox app is running in the background (or foreground) that the system reliably checks for email. If it's not running (even if Outlook mail or text messaging is running), it will not regularly check for mail.

I also found the following:

-the arrival of other messages (e.g., text messages or outlook messages) will not affect the automatic retrieval of pop messages.

-the simple arrival of other messages (text, outlook, etc.) does not cause the associated mail application to run. In other words, if you left the Cox account active (as noted in the example above), it will stay active until you specifically open a different mail account, even if messages related to those other accounts arrive.

I thought I'd share my findings...

Good luck