Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
rocky_raher
Thinker
Default Is the Compass API available yet?

Is the Compass API available? I downloaded the February 2011 update, but did not see any mention of the compass. I found an app which claims to use the internal compass. Did that developer use an unpublished hack, or am I just missing the API? If it were available, I would expect more publicity about it.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

What app is that that claims to use the compass. I'm just to lazy to dig through the wonderfull market interface.

I had some correspondence with HTC asking about a compass app for the HD7, and they indicated that T-Mobile had likely removed the compass from their version, and that's why there was no app. They indicated I was incorrectly looking at the Worldwide phone specs, not the T-Mobile phone specs. BS...the chassis spec calls for a compass, HTC was just to lazy to code an app for it, and their support folks were making up answers.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
rocky_raher
Thinker

The app is called "Mecca." Its description states, "This application will help to calculate Prayer time around the world by using GPS signal, and will help you find Qibla direction by using Compass sensor...."

Last weekend I had this great idea for a simple app with a HUGH market, which I was going to write "as soon as the compass API became available." Then I found that someone else had beaten me to it. :-(

Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I downloaded it as a trial (have no real need for a $2.99 app that tells me how to pray). Could be that I don't understand how to use it, but the compass pointer doesn't move for me. The settings are in English, for me, and there is nothing that seems it would need to be set differently. Could be that it only activates the compass at prayer times, but I have no way of knowing. The compass needle does blip now and again but always locks back to NW. So, don't know if they have cracked the code yet either. It's coming back off. I might actually have bought it just for the compass if it looked like it worked. Oh well.