Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
rocky_raher
Thinker
Default Does VS2010 Express for Phone support Collections classes?

I am developing and XNA game for Windows Phone 7. I have installed Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone. My project is almost ready for release.

I would like to add a Hashtable to my project. Of course, I have "using System.Collections," but that was insufficient. My project does include a reference to mscorlib. The object browser indicates that it is version [2.0.5.0], which does not contain Hashtable/Queue/Stact/etc. The object browser does have a description of mscorlib [4.0.0.0], which does.

Unfortunately, my attempts to add it have failed. I located it in the .NETFramework\4.0 directory, but my attempt to add it by browsing to it failed. VS said that I already have an mscorlib.

I tried to remove the original mscorlib and add the 4.0 version. That partially worked. I can now define a Hashtable. Unfortunately, when I build the solution, I get this error:
"Predefined type 'System.Object' is not defined or imported."

I did some msdn and google searches, but apparently did not ask the right queries. The most relevent comment I found was this:
"Don't take my word for it, but I think that the .NET compact framework only supports the Dictionary class."

This suggests that I should forget about using collection classes in my XNA project.

Just before trying any of this, I copied the entire project directory to a thumb drive, so I can handle the 'System.Object' problem by restoring from backup.

Is there a way to use collection classes in an XNA project in VS 2010 Express? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Tags
collections, windows phone 7, xna