¹ Running a Marathon on WP7 - Thoughts Media Forums

Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Running a Marathon on WP7

Who says there aren't any useful navigation applications for WP7?  A little while ago, I wrote up a review of a running/walking training assistant called Marathon, by JMD Software which I found very useful on my treks around the local parks with my wife.  Well, it seems JMD have jumped on the Silverlight development bandwagon and produced a version for Windows Phone 7.  It's available from the Windows Phone Marketplace for $1.09USD which is pretty reasonable and the statistics presentation and interface to the Internet have been improved.  It's neat to see software from the WM6.5 world evolve along with the O/S. 

As I've been playing with WP7 over the last few weeks, I've noticed a particular dearth of applications which make use of the Location Services and GPS within the phone.  We seem to still be waiting for that turn-by-turn navigation application to show up.  However, one application I've regularly used on my WM6.x phones for 'personal' navigation and training was Marathon -- just because it was small, easy to use and provided good information from our fitness hikes.

I was browsing through the Marketplace and I happened to find the new version of Marathon, written specifically for WP7.  Below are some screen shots from the new application.  Unfortunately, there isn't (yet) a screen capture utility available for WP7, so the images below are truly 'shots' taken with my Nikon D70.  Hence, I apologise in advance for any imperfections in the imagery.

Figure 1: After a short, test walk around the local park, you get a pretty good set of stats on how you did.  If you include your body weight in the settings, it can even tell you how many calories you burned!

Figure 2: In the WM6.5 version you got just a graphic picture of your track. In this version you get more useful graphs of your speed during the recording and the change in altitude.

Figure 3:  If you tap on the magnifying glass on the previous screen, it will present a more detailed view of the graph displayed in landscape mode.  In this case, I selected the speed graph.  I think the numbers along the right hand side are artifacts left over from the previous screen.

As with all WP7 'paid' applications, there is a try-before-you-buy option, and in Marathon's case, the trial version provides all the basic funtionality, but for a limited distance and number of tracks.  If you liked the WM6.x version, or are looking for software to help you out with the training for that next marathon, give this a try.

Don is a Senior Soluton Architect for Fujitsu Consulting, specializing in mobile security and privacy.  In his spare time, he enjoys long walks on beaches and through forests -- yes, for real!.  Sorry, ladies -- already taken....(and you have to put up with new gadgets in the house every few weeks :-)

Do you enjoy using new hardware, software and accessories, then sharing your experience with others? Then join us on the Thoughts Media Review Team! We're looking for individuals who find it fun to test new gear and give their honest opinions about the experience. It's a volunteer role with some great perks. Interested? Then click here for more information.