¹ I Don't Particularly Want to Buy a Macbook Air: What Other Options Do I Have? - Thoughts Media Forums

Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default I Don't Particularly Want to Buy a Macbook Air: What Other Options Do I Have?

OK readers, here's the deal: I'm on the hunt for a new laptop, and I have certain specs that I want the laptop to have. Shockingly, the new 13.3" Macbook Air seems to come closest to the mark...but, given a choice, I'd prefer to not give Apple more of my money. I have no plans to run OS X regularly on it, so something that's built specifically for Windows 7 is more to my liking (rather than using Boot Camp on the Air).

What's most appealing to me about the hardware on the Macbook Air? The 13.3" screen running at 1440 x 900 resolution is #1 with a bullet. That's a great resolution for a thin and light notebook, yet it's extremely difficult to find in any product - most Dell consumer laptops for instance go from 1280 x 720 up to 1920 x 1080, which is a massive jump. You either end up with a low res or ultra-high res image; some of their 13.3" laptops have 1366 x 768 resolution, but not in their consumer line. Even the brand new Dell XPS 14 tops out at 1280 x 720 resolution. It's like Dell doesn't understand the concept that some of us want to have a decent resolution on our laptops. It's hard not to like the seven hours of battery life with the Macbook Air, and I'd be lying if I said that the thin and light hardware wasn't also appealing.

I have a Dell Vostro V13 right now, and while there's a lot that I like about it (review here), the underpowered CPU (the Core 2 Duo SU7300 clocks in at 1.3 Ghz), the limited battery life (three hours on a good day), and the anaemic GPU have got me a little fed up. The 13.3" screen at 1366 x 768 is pretty good, but the bump up to 1440 x 900 would be even better. I've looked at every Dell laptop I can find and nothing quite seems to match up.

What I'm looking for in a new thin and light laptop:

• 13.3" or 14" screen with 1440 x 900 resolution (maybe 1366 x 768)
  • A Core 2 Duo or better CPU at 1.8+ Ghz (2+ Ghz is even better)
  • Minimum 4 GB RAM
  • 5+ hours of battery life
  • 256 MB SSD, though I'd be willing to swap in a Segate hybrid drive in a pinch if no SSD option was available
  • Reasonably thin profile, not too heavy
  • Optical drive optional
  • Decent GPU (something other than Intel graphics basically)
  • Something that doesn't have a truly ugly design - sadly, that means the HP Envy 14 is off the list because it has a stupid floral pattern on it...however, I *might* just cover up an ugly laptop with a DecalGirl skin. I'd prefer not to though!

Price? Well, the 13.3" Macbook Air, upgraded with a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, and 256GB of Flash Storage, would run me $1849 CAD. So let's say that's the basic dollar amount I want to stay around.

What laptops out there today should I be looking at? The Sony Vaio Z series looks close, but strangely when I go into a custom config, the only resolution option is 1920 x 1080...on a 13.1 inch screen? Are you insane Sony?