¹ HTPC Crossroads - Thoughts Media Forums Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic
Default HTPC Crossroads

Hey all,
I believe that my HTPC is at a crossroads.

In the past it was a dual analogu tuner pc running SageTV. And it pretty much worked well until Comcast moved a chunk of my most watched channels to the digital line up. Now I'm left with only a handful of network tv channels that come over in the clear from the Coax cable.

When I upgraded from XP to Win7 I did convert over to Windows Media Center and I like it so far. Even the Xbox extender functionality is nice. I still have purchased a remote yet until I know whether I'm going to commit.

My question is this....
Should I invest in a cable card tuner? The only one I can find is a Quad Tuner by Ceton at $399. That's quite a bit of change. But I"m not ruling it out.

I don't really want to deal with an IR blaster either.

At this point if I can't access any of my cable channels (syfy, comedy central, cartoon network) then wants the point?

Maybe it does make sense to just get a Tivo, or god forbid, a Comcast DVR... ugh!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and reponses.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Hmmm....
No takers?

Okay, how about this? Are there any cablecard tuners out there than anyone would recommend?

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

We'll I've broken down and ordered a Comcast DVR. I suppose if a better, family friendly solution presents itself, the I can consider it.

But in the mean time my wife will be able to record the Green Hornet series on the Syfy channel. The one with Bruce Lee, of course.