Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Thumbs up Anyone watching Rock Star: Supernova? ***SPOLIERS***

I admit it, I'm hooked on this show. I started watching the first season about five or six episodes in, and got hooked for one simple reason: these people could actually SING. I avoid shows such as American Idol (or the even sadder Canadian counterpart) because so many of the people on the show are rank amateurs with potential, nothing more (not that there's anything wrong with that mind you). But with Rock Star the people chosen are often already established musicians with a lot of experience and skill, so the quality level is WAY higher. The house band on Rock Star is simply stunning as well - sometimes I ignore the vocalist and focus on the house band.

The highlight of the season so far, for me, was Ryan Star doing "Losing My Religion" on the piano - amazing vocal performance. That guy can sing!

I was disappointed, though not entirely surprised at the rather...flaccid Supernova song that was performed last week. I didn't get the sense that any of them were really great songwriters going into this, and the first original tune didn't impress me much. It's too early to judge the band harshly though, I'll wait for the album to come out.

All in all, a great show that I'm enjoying quite a bit.