Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-26-2004, 10:39 PM
rugerx
Ponderer

Will it have and update to WM 2005 SE ? Or will we need to buy the 8900xpi Ipaq for that ?

That is the real question.

(yes I meant 2005 SE, bad attempt at humor methinks.)

Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
Actually, to tap a button repeatedly (e.g in a game) you will have to lift your thumb off the touch pad for a moment. This may make your hold on your device less stable, and may make a top-heavy device fall. There is also no tactile feedback (which is also useful in a game)
I think you're mistaken on that point. I saw the demo again and it clearly shows that when you press on the raised points in navigation mode, it does repeat.
Im not talking about pressing it repeatedly. Im talking about touching a button without pressing it, e.g say in a racing game when you are waiting for a turn. You have your finger on the button, stabilising the device, and when the turn comes you press the button.

On this touchpad you cant touch it on the dots without initiating a click, and if you keep your finger there it will read as a repeat. Its not very convenient.

I expect, like the touchpad on my laptop, that this will also be easily triggered by e.g the base of my hand when using the stylus, causing incorrect clicks and cursor movements.

Surur

Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

And when playing games, like the racing example, when you come to a turn, you would rock your thumb from left to right. Rocking your thumb on the touchpad won't be interpretted as letting go of the left button and pressing the right button, it would be seen as a scroll gesture.

I say DOWN WITH THE TOUCHPAD!!!! Who's with me????

Robb

Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
nosmohtac
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy
I don't get it either.. there's a large 4 inch screen a finger movement away.. why use the touchpad? icky finger? use the stylus then. hmm... :roll:
I didn't like the idea at first, but after seeing the solitaire demo I really like it.

I use the expensive screen protectors for my iPAQ, and if I end up on a solitaire marathon, I can destroy one of these screen protectors in a matter of days. This opens up new possibilities, that I now think, are excellent.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Mark Johnson
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Bates
I say DOWN WITH THE TOUCHPAD!!!! Who's with me????

Robb
Alright, pistols at dawn pal! I for one will defend the honor of this innovative idea! :lol:

But seriously, as much as I have been very underwhelmed by PPC2003SE (meaning the entire OS release and ALL devices coming out this year) I really do APPLAUD this feature. I honestly don't know if it will be halfway as cool as I hope it is, but it's really the ONLY "radical departure" from the "business as usual" and "minor incremental development" mindset that has infected Redmond and all the OEMs for the last couple of releases.

Please, all you who THINK you are going to hate it, just "give trackpads a chance" won't you? I personally hate how inefficient it is to grab the stylus every time I need to navigate. Any idea that MIGHT make a significant improvement in usability is worth a shot don't ya think?

At a minimum, HP should be given credit-where-credit-is-due for thinking outside the box.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

:drool:

Old 07-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Stake
Intellectual

Quote:
Im not talking about pressing it repeatedly. Im talking about touching a button without pressing it, e.g say in a racing game when you are waiting for a turn. You have your finger on the button, stabilising the device, and when the turn comes you press the button.

On this touchpad you cant touch it on the dots without initiating a click, and if you keep your finger there it will read as a repeat. Its not very convenient.

I expect, like the touchpad on my laptop, that this will also be easily triggered by e.g the base of my hand when using the stylus, causing incorrect clicks and cursor movements.

Surur
OK, I understand now. I was applying my argument to games like side scrollers and emulators. I see your point. Though what would be interesting is in your driving game scenario, what if a game maker used the pad specifically so it would act as an analog input?

I too have a pad on my laptop but I use the stick instead. I too was annoyed sometimes when the pad would move around if my palm touched it. The problem went away when I turned on the PalmCheck option.

I just think that people should give it a chance until you actually try it out.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Julio
Pupil

This just occurred to me as I saw the flash demo...

Since HP already has a mouse pointer implemented that is controlled by a touch pad - would it be possible to hook-up a bluetooth mouse and control the cursor that way?

I can see this being very useful when editing a document in TextMaker or PlanMaker. Combine it with the Think Outside bluetooth keyboard - and you have a *very* portable mini computer! :devilboy:

Personally, it is a pain to use a stylus when using a keyboard with a PPC. And, yet, for real document editing, a keyboard is a necessity. A mouse would make it that much more convenient!

Cheers,
Julio

Old 07-27-2004, 01:34 AM
logo20heli
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerx
Will it have and update to WM 2005 SE ? Or will we need to buy the 8900xpi Ipaq for that ?

That is the real question.

(yes I meant 2005 SE, bad attempt at humor methinks.)
I was browsing the hx4700 data sheet that is located at HP's press kit location and found the following quote:

" Extended Product life cycle for stability and investment protection."

Maybe they are saying this to try to convince some corporations that this PDA will be around next year and that HP will support it (with new OS releases?).

I found the data sheet here: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr.../ds_hx4700.pdf

Speaking on topic, I think the touchpad is useful if it is usable by one hand. I think using it with a folding keyboard will be nice. I won't have to pull out the stylus. I'm willing to give it a go and make a decision later.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 AM
badbob001
Ponderer

I suspect that dpad mode will not have diagonal support.

Notice that the demo suggest assigning a button to change the touchpad's mode... and we also need a button to change screen orientation and to turn wifi/bluetooth on/off. Oops, we only have four buttons. It would have been nice if they put more buttons at the top of the device so we can assign those extra features and to also be able to use the pad and buttons in landscape mode.