Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

So the touchpad can't be use as handwriting area as Palm? I though they finally merged laptop touchpad and POS silk hardwriting area. What a disppointment.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Exempli Gratia
Neophyte

Seems this only would be useful one-handed (and/or if a clear cover was on). One-handed, your thumb may be able to reach the entire touch-pad, but not the entire screen. Plus, trying to hit the screen with your thumb is not very precise.

Two-handed, the only advantage it that you would not need to get the stylus out and would not muck up the screen.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:24 PM
surur
Mystic

Actually, to tap a button repeatedly (e.g in a game) you will have to lift your thumb off the touch pad for a moment. This may make your hold on your device less stable, and may make a top-heavy device fall. There is also no tactile feedback (which is also useful in a game)

Its not really a useful addition to a device with a large touch screen, no matter how well they implement it.

A much better innovation would have been a very large screen which extends to the edge of the device, which implemented a virtual touchpad (ala the virtual silk screen on the POS devices).

It would have the same effect, plus is you hate it you could make it go away and have a bigger screen.

Surur

Old 07-26-2004, 09:28 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Problem with using the screen as the touch pad solely: smudges. The 4700's touchpad allows you to do things you'd normally use your thumb on the screen for - without smudging the screen with icky human oils.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:43 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
So the touchpad can't be use as handwriting area as Palm? I though they finally merged laptop touchpad and POS silk hardwriting area. What a disppointment.
Watching the demo I was thinking how nice it would be to have a third mode of operation where you could enter text in a graffiti mode without needing to pop up the on screen display...

...Now if was only $499....

Old 07-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

I'm with Surur, I don't even see the whole point in this (pardon the pun).

Why have a touch sensitive pad when you have a touch sensitive screen not even a 1/4" away. What's the point? Yes, I like the mouse cursor. I wouldn't mind seeing a portable mouse to be used with foldable keyboards. But the loss of the tactile d-pad makes this a negative in my book. I rarely use the d-pad except for games and this touchpad probably would make game play that much harder.

Robb

Old 07-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
A much better innovation would have been a very large screen which extends to the edge of the device, which implemented a virtual touchpad (ala the virtual silk screen on the POS devices).
Isn't that what PPCs already have versus Palm devices?

Robb

Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
surur
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Bates
Quote:
Isn't that what PPCs already have versus Palm devices?

Robb
Aaah, but the point would be a very large screen which extends to the edge of the device, which implemented a virtual touchpad.

Like some sony models, a device that is all screen, with some hardware buttons on the edge. That would be really cool.

Surur

Old 07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Stake
Intellectual

Quote:
Actually, to tap a button repeatedly (e.g in a game) you will have to lift your thumb off the touch pad for a moment. This may make your hold on your device less stable, and may make a top-heavy device fall. There is also no tactile feedback (which is also useful in a game)
I think you're mistaken on that point. I saw the demo again and it clearly shows that when you press on the raised points in navigation mode, it does repeat.

Quote:
Its not really a useful addition to a device with a large touch screen, no matter how well they implement it.
I think there are advantages here even with a 4" screen. My Genio has a 4" screen and I have always wished there was a better way for navigation in addition to the touchscreen.

Quote:

It would have the same effect, plus is you hate it you could make it go away and have a bigger screen.
I don't know about this either. I think this may cause tapping errors if you're navigating and tapping at the same time. If you have two points pressed on the screen at the same time on a touch display, it will only respond properly to one point or the other, not both. Having it there at all times, I feel, makes more sense. Even if this wasn't the case, I don't think that you'll have the precise control as you would on a touchpad. There would also only be a single fixed pressure threshold to get it to respond. Sliding your finger/thumb on a glass-like surface isn't smooth either.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:17 PM
snazzy
Pupil

I don't get it either.. there's a large 4 inch screen a finger movement away.. why use the touchpad? icky finger? use the stylus then. hmm... :roll: