Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
efjay
Theorist

Jason,

When I'm the only WM user left, will WPTs still be running? google (data mining), apple (anal control freaks) are not for me, I can manage iWindows Phone once its hacked as I would use Xbox Live and use MS services. What do you see as the future of this site since it seems everyone is jumping on either the apple or google bandwagon?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
Toodledo can do nested tasks with their Pro version (e.g., $14 a year), and syncs via Nuevasync (On WM) and Toodledroid (On Android).

Jon.

That is promising! Thanks Jon!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Okay, I gave in and picked up an ATT Nexus One off contract. I was originally not planning on buying a new phone until the end of this year, and I pretty much anticipated it was going to be a WP7.

To be hones I'll probably still purchase one. Its just that as a gadget enthusiast I really wanted to checkout Android. In my mind, the Nexus One is the obvious choice for anyone on AT&T. I figure the hardware is comparible to most high-end phones on the market or anything coming. I'm pretty much guaranteed to be on latest version of Android as the Google flagship.

I figure if I sell it in a few months it will hopefully pay for my next phone if I buy it on contract.

I have to say, I'm really pleased with the phone and platform. My only issue is the substandard Exchange Activesync implementation. 2.1 doesn't support Calendar and its email syncing is minimal.

I know that Froyo will add Calendar, but I'm also hoping they've improved email as well.

I am missing my Pocket Informant and Netflix apps but I'm sure its just a matter or time.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

For my netflix needs I am using Movies.
Android.com - Market

It works really well, you can search for movies in the DVD section and add them to your instant or regular queues. You can even drag and drop rearrange items in your queue. I actually think it works a lot better than the official netflix program for windows mobile.

There are also several other fairly good exchange solutions in the market but I think I will just wait for 2.2.

Edit: hrm.. stupid link doesn't work.. just search the market for movies. It is by Flixster.

Last edited by Jason Lee; 06-06-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 AM
doogald
Oracle

I use PhoneFlicks for my Netflix stuff on Android.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
When I'm the only WM user left, will WPTs still be running?...What do you see as the future of this site since it seems everyone is jumping on either the apple or google bandwagon?
Predicting the future is never something I've been particularly good at , but in general, while I know we're seeing people switch to Android, my hope is that new users coming into Windows Phone 7 will find Windows Phone Thoughts and use it as a resource. Communities are always evolving and changing; as long as there's a Windows Phone/Windows Mobile product, there will be a Windows Phone Thoughts. Unlike many others here, I'm quite excited and feeling quite positive about Windows Phone 7 - I really like much of what it has to offer.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

The only thing is that we've seen that from MSFT before. Windows Mobile WAS an impressive product. It still is, technically. Zune is another product that I think, feature to feature, has always been a better product than the iPod line. But it doesn't seem to matter.