Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I have nothing to forgive Android for though. I didn't know of the RSS issue until it was raised here. And can't think of another problem I've had. Meanwhile I've used WinMo since PocketPC 2002 and while I've always liked it...the devices perform horribly today.

I'm sorry RSS doesn't work for you...but my T-Mobile Wing had a hard time answering the phone much of the time. I'm going to throw it out there that a phone that has a problem with RSS is not as bad off as a phone that has a problem being a phone.

I would be interested to know what other problems you've had with Android.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Havent had any issues with Activesync in years of owning a WM device.
When I had one device syncing with one computer, I didn't have any issues either

But now that I'm syncing my phone with Work and Home PCs...

Old 05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I have nothing to forgive Android for though. I didn't know of the RSS issue until it was raised here. And can't think of another problem I've had. Meanwhile I've used WinMo since PocketPC 2002 and while I've always liked it...the devices perform horribly today.

I'm sorry RSS doesn't work for you...but my T-Mobile Wing had a hard time answering the phone much of the time. I'm going to throw it out there that a phone that has a problem with RSS is not as bad off as a phone that has a problem being a phone.

I would be interested to know what other problems you've had with Android.

Which devices are you referring to that you say perform horribly today?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Any of them. I wanted a Fuze and went into the store to play with them I couldn't believe that even now the visual effects on the device lagged as much as they did. I had an MDA & Wing which were subpar. I've done app development for them as well and we used a variety of different devices before settling on the 6700 and eventually moving the 6800. We had a pretty heavy app, but the devices weren't doing us any favors.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
efjay
Theorist

Quote:
Any of them. I wanted a Fuze and went into the store to play with them I couldn't believe that even now the visual effects on the device lagged as much as they did. I had an MDA & Wing which were subpar. I've done app development for them as well and we used a variety of different devices before settling on the 6700 and eventually moving the 6800. We had a pretty heavy app, but the devices weren't doing us any favors.
I wouldnt be judging WM performance by looking at devices like the MDA or Wing, even the 6800 as they all have 64MB of memory and on 2 devices only a 200MHz processor which doesnt bode well for speedy performance. And even though you found the Fuze to be lacking (which is backed up in some reviews)I still wouldnt surmise that that level of performance applies to all WM devices available today.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
David Tucker

The Fuze was supposed to be the best. When I went to go look at the Xperia at Sony style, they told me they were no longer in the store (this was when they first came out) and they had been taken back for reasons unknown. The SS employee told me he felt it was because of the poor performance, also in the reviews.

I've always liked WinMo and its ancestors, but it has not handled the phone very well. I think there's just too much going on that it wasn't originally designed for. It just needs an overhaul.

Not only that but I think I spent $180 to get my G1. The WinMo devices I wanted were $400 and up. That was just too much to pay for what I felt was a consistent issue of performance. I keep my eye on WinMo in case I should want to come back but as Android gets better and better it makes Microsoft's job harder.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM
efjay
Theorist

Personal preference is what matters most, I guess. I have no performance issues with my current WM device and my previous ones were adequate for the time and technological capability available at that time. And currently I havent seen anything in Android, the iphone or even Symbian that makes them a better mobile OS for me apart from the GUI which is really not a big deal for me anymore and I also prefer WM (even though I have not always felt that way, per my sig) because for ultimate freedom nothing compares. Apple can and have restricted apps as they see fit and requires you have an itunes account, google requires you have a gmail account and provides no way to sync with desktop PIM clients and have also restricted 1 or 2 apps and Symbian is not custimizable enough for me. For myself that prefers to buy my own device outright and modify to my tastes WM, for all its actual and perceived shortcomings is the only OS I could use.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Master Loon
Pupil

I think a major problem the G1 faces is many of us going to it were used to WM. Again This being a new kid on the block, there is much to iron out. If your were able to root the phone and get thinks like tethering back and pdf viewer, it begins to allow your world to function better.

i admit I do want to go back to WM maybe once The Touch Pro 2 drops for tmobile. But the not so half baked G1 will keep a place....mayeb not dear to my hart, but above the wing and all the other slow ill performing wm devices I had before

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Wait 'till you start getting black screen on your G1 for about 4 sec. every time you close app. to open another. Or getting a clean wallpaper without any icons after extensive use of Google's browser. No such problem with Opera. And that's just about lags. Add constant forceclose apps, unexpected reboots, just to name a few problems. Plus WM apps are more professional, polished and useful. My point, it's just what you want from your device. Be either cool and hip, or have a useful but bitten up by bad publicity business machine in your pocket.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
David Tucker

WinMo is arguably a superior professional device with no extra applications, but I'm sorry, moment you start adding applications its done. My devices couldn't handle running more than 2 apps at a time. Opera was a non-starter since it didn't run at all with any degree of usefullness (and nothing else could be open).

I've experienced all the things you've mentioned but they've been less frequent than any problems I had on WinMo. As a software developer, I'm aware that there is no perfect system. The iPhone suffers the same things. All that I lack on my phone is Exchange but as a consultant, WinMo wasn't much use to me in that respect. With only 1 exchange server I had to pick which one I wanted to get.

And the email client on the G1 is lightyears ahead of pocket outlook. If I can get my email via POP or IMAP then I end up with a much more useful solution.