Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
smileyguy
Pupil

I clicked the play button, the screen stayed black.
I waited 30s because you said sometimes the website took that long to respond, the screen stayed black.
I opened a new tab and started reading Apple Thoughts (I'm trying to expand my horizons), checked back, and the screen stayed black.
I went back to Apple thoughts, read a few articles, and then heard an audio blip (like a video starting), checked the video tab, and the screen stayed black.
12 minutes and only one audio blip does not sound like a good service.
Sorry.

As I was writing this I got a second audio blip, so make that two audio blips in 13 minutes.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM
jeffd
Philosopher

Worked fine for me, needed to do nothing fancy with NoScript to get it to play. it didn't allow for fullscreening though, said it was disabled.

My personal experience with web video led me to Vimeo. I wanted someplace to put up a high resolution version of my WoW guild's Kiljaeden kill. I only came up with one place, vimeo. Their free account is pretty restrictive (1 HD upload a week, and I think 1000 life time views of HD on your videos before your HD is disabled) but for 60 bucks a year most of it goes away.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Neil Enns
Thinker

What about using http://www.vimeo.com/? That's what the folks over at BoingBoing appear to use.

Neil

Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

So far, the only word I can use to describe it is sporadic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It looks great when it does, though.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Enns View Post
What about using http://www.vimeo.com/? That's what the folks over at BoingBoing appear to use.

Neil
The problem with Vimeo is that they aren't really geared toward what Jason wants to do. They tend to be "delete happy" when it comes to videos that don't fit a certain mould. A few months back, my buddy Ryan at Engadget had a problem where they just canned a video without notice for no reason; from that point on, all the Weblogs Inc blogs started using Viddler. It's nowhere near the same quality, but Viddler really is a much more open and friendly site than Vimeo and they do offer a 16:9 player for SD and HD vids.

For HD, Blip seems to do a good job. I'm biased because I use them the most, but lots of sites do some good stuff with them.

It's a shame Motionbox isn't stable enough; their quality really is exceptionally good.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
drowe
Ponderer

Worked fine for me. No skips, hesitations, or jumps.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Joe Johaneman
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Johaneman

Worked perfectly. Started instantly and I had no jumping or skipping. Smooth all the way.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
martin_ayton
Thinker

It came up very quickly for me but hit constant rebuffering pauses whilst playing. It was a tough test though since I was streaming NASA TV using WMP at the same time (that didn't skip a beat though). I have a relatively slow connection: its an SDSL which usually clocks around 624kbps, but it is uncontended, so it really runs at that speed.

Have you tried ustream? It's really set up for live feeds but it may well also do what you want. Since one of the input options is DVCam, the quality should be good enough.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyewu View Post
Was fine for me as well, but I have the latest flash. I know for their HD versions (Not sure what you settled on for format) the later versions of flash work much better. The SD version ( still widescreen) plays for me pretty much every time.
I embedded the HD version. I did a broader series of tests here:

http://www.jasondunn.com/motionbox-v...1160#more-1160

Old 11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
mrozema
Intellectual

I tried three times.
First and third played instantly.
The second time didn't even start.