Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Good Bob!

Jason, you're only encouraging them! Macs really are the bane of my existence. I grudgingly allow them to continue existing so Microsoft doesn't keep sitting on their butts. Competition breeds Innovation, so they're necessary to the technosystem.

However, the constant smear campaign they've been running for the past few years is really out of hand and no company in good concience should practice that form of business. It's nothing short of propoganda and mis-information and it disgusts me. By extension, those that drink the colored sugar water handed to them without question disgust me as well.

And don't get me started on the BS about me not being a 'serious' graphic artist because I use a PC...

So, to be perfectly honest, here's one poster that won't be wandering over to that TM site...

That said, I wish you all the luck in the world with your latest venture!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrnt1 View Post
I won't ever own a Mac. I build my own PCs and love tweaking them. If Apple ever opens up and lets people build clones, I'd probably build one, just to try it out, but I won't buy a closed system.
Yeah, I feel the same way - I really like picking out the parts that I want to use, being able to swap out hardware whenever I feel like it - even swapping out entire motherboards, etc. Flexibility and choice is really important to me, which is likely why I'll remain a Windows guy for life.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 PM
PPCRules
Thinker

Jason, I understand the money thing; gotta go where there's money, and the Mac/iPod/iPhone types have long shown they have plenty of it. I am not in that free-spending league; e.g., I am no way capable of paying $70/month to make an iPhone do it's thing.

But, as I said when the Touch first came out, even on this forum I believe, seeing where Apple might be heading and not seeing Windows Mobile heading anywhere, a 3rd generation Touch could be my replacement device. That would not involve selling myself to Apple in the other market segments.

In that light, though, it seems to me that 'Apple' thoughts is pretty broad. If I were a Touch owner, I wouldn't want to deal with all the other Apple baloney to get info related to my device.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
palur
Intellectual

I Hope this is not the beginning of the end (windows mobile for Jason!). Though I have been buying only pocket pcs ever since they were marketed, I am open to apple's products but they don't enchant me not even their hype at this point.
I am sad to see an ardent fan like Jason going for APPLE! ANyway good luck Jason. I still can not digest the fact that you are enchanted to the extent of starting an exclusive web site for it Pchhh!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof View Post
A Mac site? You? Miracles do happen!
No, the miracle would be me BUYING a Mac, and that's not going to happen! Windows FTW!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
However, the constant smear campaign they've been running for the past few years is really out of hand and no company in good concience should practice that form of business.
Agreed 100%. You don't want to get me started on all the things I don't like about Apple. But the reality is, as a businessman running a small company, I can't ignore Apple any longer. If I want to keep growing Thoughts Media, if I want to keep being able to do this for a living, I needed to add an Apple site to the portfolio...and so here we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
So, to be perfectly honest, here's one poster that won't be wandering over to that TM site...
Heck, I probably won't wander over to AT very often. As Thoughts Media continues to grow, as it must, the number of people who are going to be interested in every site we have will shrink - I certainly don't expect people from Apple Thoughts to hang out over at Zune Thoughts, etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I certainly don't expect people from Apple Thoughts to hang out over at Zune Thoughts, etc.
God forbid! ;-)

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCRules View Post
In that light, though, it seems to me that 'Apple' thoughts is pretty broad. If I were a Touch owner, I wouldn't want to deal with all the other Apple baloney to get info related to my device.
There's definitely an art to deciding how broad or focused to make a site, but I think we've hit the right balance with Apple Thoughts. Time will tell, but I think that if someone is looking for help/suggestions, having an iPod Touch/iPhone forum (since they're virtually the same thing) gives them a specific enough place to find what they're looking for. Sure, there might be iPod Touch-specific sites out there that will deliver better iPod Touch news, but the more specific the site is, the bigger the danger of having no news to publish, or having your site suddently be rendered useless when the name of the product changes or when it gets discontinued. Trust me: running a Zune site has taught me these lessons.

I think Apple thoughts has an advantage over a broadly-focused Windows Web site (if I were we do a "Microsoft Thoughts" for instance) in that many people that own Apple products tend to own them in groups. I think Apple enthusiasts are interested in everything that Apple does, and that's the mandate that Apple Thoughts has.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by palur View Post
I Hope this is not the beginning of the end (windows mobile for Jason!)...I am sad to see an ardent fan like Jason going for APPLE! ANyway good luck Jason. I still can not digest the fact that you are enchanted to the extent of starting an exclusive web site for it Pchhh!
I don't know how I confused people, but let me re-state this: I do not own an iPhone. I do not want to buy an iPhone. I do not own a Mac. I do not want to buy a Mac. I am not "going" for Apple. I am not going to be posting on Apple Thoughts.

I remain firmly committed to Windows Mobile. I love my Blackjack II. I want a Touch HD. I'm downloading the Windows 7 beta later today hopefully. I remain firmly rooted in the Windows ecosystem.

Lauching Apple Thoughts was a business decision - remember I do this for a living...

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Fritzly
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by palur View Post
I am sad to see an ardent fan like Jason going for APPLE! ANyway good luck Jason. I still can not digest the fact that you are enchanted to the extent of starting an exclusive web site for it Pchhh!

Guess what? "Pecunia not olet"
Or: business is business... we are not arguing about Faith here.
Besides I do not like Apple computers and I do not use them; I am tired of the agony of WM, , and I switched to the Iphone.
Note that I have used some kind of PDA since 1982, at the time Casio were the best; later I moved to Windows CE and jumped on the WM boat with the Motorola 200.

When MS will release WM 7, and if it will be better than whatever version of the Iphone, or Nokia wil be available at the time, I will happily switch to WM... until the next better thing of course.