Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Printing

Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Glad you liked the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannakm View Post
Since the super high gloss paper is thinner than the 115-pound paper and produce better picture, is there any chance my paper or the print quality would not be as good as the one in your book?
I don't believe there's any correlation to between paper thickness and print quality; it's related to the type/quality of printer that is being used. If I had to guess, I'd say that MyPublisher uses a different printing press for the supergloss paper.

Quote:
Also, I was currious how does winkflash.com compares to the reviewed photobooks. I just can't understand how a 12"X12" 100 pages leather covered photobook can be sold for less than $40. Even for a 20 pages book it would seems too cheap.
I can't help you there I'm afraid - I've never gotten a book from Winkflash.com. I tend to believe you get what you pay for though - when I look at the costs of the books from Blurb and ArtsCow, the quality is right in line with what you pay.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
That looks a little worse than I'd expect, but it's so hard to tell from a photo. Since you're quite particular about quality, I think you're going to need to do your own research and order from multiple places until you find exactly what you want.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
cdlillard
Neophyte
Default Best photo quality for wedding photobook

Hi Jason,
Thank you so much for your detailed reviews. I am making a photobook for my wedding photos. In your video review of myPublisher you mentioned that if someone wants a wedding album they may want to choose something else. I am not an expert. Your vacation photobook with layflat pages and supergloss looks great to me and I thought I would try the same thing for my wedding photobook. Is there some reason why I wouldn't want supergloss pages for my wedding album? What would be better?

Thanks so much,

Christi Lillard

Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Glad you liked the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlillard View Post
Your vacation photobook with layflat pages and supergloss looks great to me and I thought I would try the same thing for my wedding photobook. Is there some reason why I wouldn't want supergloss pages for my wedding album? What would be better?
It's all a matter of personal preference, but when I think of most wedding photos, I imagine a sophisticated, tasteful series of images...and the supergloss paper is more fun and flashy. So there's no technical reason why it wouldn't work, it's more of a style thing. But maybe if you had fun and flashy wedding photos, it would be a perfect match.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
yannakm
Neophyte

I'm back from vacation and have received the photobook from Adoramapix.
The quality from an 8X8 regular photobook from adoramapix is WAY better than the Deluxe one from Mypulisher.com
Pictures looks like they are processed in a lab as opposed to be printed from an inkjet printer.
Paper is way thinker. Only the color seems not as vibrant as the one from MyPublisher.com, but it's normal as I didn't color correct them using their ICC profile but let them do the color correction for me.

I just wrote to MyPulisher and will see that they have to say.

Quote:
I don't believe there's any correlation to between paper thickness and print quality; it's related to the type/quality of printer that is being used. If I had to guess, I'd say that MyPublisher uses a different printing press for the supergloss paper.
Is it possible they use as different printing press between the paper for the classical book and the one for the deluxe as I still don't understand why the print is so bad?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
yannakm
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlillard View Post
Hi Jason,
Thank you so much for your detailed reviews. I am making a photobook for my wedding photos. In your video review of myPublisher you mentioned that if someone wants a wedding album they may want to choose something else. I am not an expert. Your vacation photobook with layflat pages and supergloss looks great to me and I thought I would try the same thing for my wedding photobook. Is there some reason why I wouldn't want supergloss pages for my wedding album? What would be better?
As per my recent experience with MyPublisher.com, I could only recommend you to use the supergloss paper as Jason haven't actually seen prints from the 182 pound paper of the Deluxe photobook.

That is, unless you want to go with the classical hardcover which is almost half the size (in total square inches) of the deluxe photobook.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Is it possible they use as different printing press between the paper for the classical book and the one for the deluxe as I still don't understand why the print is so bad?
It's possible, but it would be very surprising for them to admit it or give you any sort of explanation. These companies tend to be pretty vague on those sorts of details...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
yannakm
Neophyte
Thumbs up MyPublisher.com great customer support.

Just to let you know, I took some pictures of the Photobook I received from mypublisher and contacted their customer support.
In less than 6 hours they gave me a full credit to reprint the album($230 credit + free shipping to Canada), no other questions asked.

Not to take any chances, I took the supergloss upgrade to make sure the print is good, so the reprint cost me $20.

I had some issues using the newer version of the software, and they gave me answers in less than a minute using the chat help on their web site.

I don't know how the photobook will look like, but I have never seen customer service this good.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I don't know how the photobook will look like, but I have never seen customer service this good.
Wow, that's impressive! Glad to hear they took care of you. And I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the Supergloss option...

Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
yannakm
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the Supergloss option...
It better looks good, or else...

Seriously, I have faith in you. I know you took a lot of time to create an unbiased comparison of all those sellers.

Also, the fact that the CSR at MyPublisher gave me credit without asking me to ship them the photobook makes me believe there was definitely something wrong with the printing.

Even if I don't like the finished product that much, my wife was already happy with the book and it was for her I created it in the first place. Still, since I am the one that spent hours working to make sure everything was perfect, I couldn't expect anything else than great result, especially after seeing the $19.95 AdoramaPix photobook I created afterward.

I will let you know for sure about the finished product.