Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry View Post
three features I can think off off the top of my head.

1) Windows Mobile Device Center - how much did AS do that WMDC doesn't? Backups, conflict resolution?
Missing features aren't the same as broken features!

Quote:
2) When Connection Mangler came out in 2002, it destroyed VPN connections unless you had a proxy server. Once connected to a VPN connection through "work" anytime your device tries to make a regular internet connection (POP3 email check for example) the VPN drops. Ackowledged as a problem in 2002, still unresolved in Wm6.1
Undoubtably a bug in Windows Mobile, but not a case of Windows Mobile and Windows on the desktop not working properly together. Or a case of WinMo not being able to connect to a cloud service such as MSN Messenger.

Quote:
3) In WinMo 5, it was very difficult to upgrade apps. Installers would routinely fail. you had to often manually uninstall the app first (erasing your preferences) and then install the update, which often meant reregistering as well. this was fixed in WinMo 6.0, and possibly in an AKU in 5.0, but few carriers/OEMs gave out that AKU to existing owners.

MS has had its share of making changes and leaving the users high and dry.
Another pain - but another device bug or "feature" of Windows Mobile. Not a change on a cloud platform that broke the mobile experience.

Which I guess is my real rant: Google can change the cloud, break their own apps compatibility, and tell users "uh, sorry" with nothing more. MS would never be able to get away with that.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:03 AM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
WinMo may not be the prettiest, but I'm having a really hard time remembering the last time it didn't work with a critical MS application because MS changed the application, but left the mobile users stranded.</p>
Microsoft Money for Mobile?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Microsoft Money for Mobile?
MS abandant this long ago. My guess, give the road to independent Devs. SPB did a good job with it. BTW, Is it me, or it looks like MS dropping MOney all together, including desktop edition?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999 View Post
Vista is victim to a whole heap of sheep believing and perpetuating the woes of a few without ever even trying it for themselves. IMHO ... :-)
I second that. I am, however, very anxious to get off of Vista and move to Windows 7 when it releases. I've been on the beta for my netbook for a few months and plan to reformat and install the RC this coming weekend, but I'm holding off on my work PCs and other home PCs until it goes gold.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
gorkon
Neophyte
Default Android...

Quote:
WinMo may not be the prettiest, but I'm having a really hard time remembering the last time it didn't work with a critical MS application because MS changed the application, but left the mobile users stranded.
I don't blame this on Google. I blame this on T-Mobile and Google. I bet this problem is fixed by the end of the month thanks to the cupcake update.

What I think has happened here is the Google Reader devs were ready before Cupcake was ready and thus broke Reader on the G1.

Incidentally, Google Reader as a whole has been a bit weird lately. For example, on my G1, I DID mark items as being read and they did not show back up on the phone, but when I got to my desk at work, i had to remark most of what I marked read on the phone. So, it's not JUST the phone.

One thing that has NEVER broke yet has been Gmail or contact synchronization. This has always worked fantastically for me. NO MORE activestync! Microsoft should make it so non corporate customers can sync to Hotmail OTA.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Missing features aren't the same as broken features!
Agreed, which is why I mentioned the three things that I did. All three worked until MS broke them in a subsequent release.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

What about the Daylight Savings patch for Windows Mobile. It never did work right for WiMo 2003 and was never fixed. And worse, their second attempt failed.

I'm not saying Google is any better than Microsoft. I'm just saying that each company has their priorities and daylight savings wasn't one Microsoft was concerned about.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
I second that. I am, however, very anxious to get off of Vista and move to Windows 7 when it releases. I've been on the beta for my netbook for a few months and plan to reformat and install the RC this coming weekend, but I'm holding off on my work PCs and other home PCs until it goes gold.
I was going to hold off too but after installing RC1 on my netbook last week and knowing it will be around for a year...I'm just going to install it on all my machines.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

I have to say that havng used Android for the past 6 months...I completely disagree. I do think they need to fix the issue you discovered but that's one bug in a very new OS that overall works incredibly well. Especially since I don't think the bug you've found is what I'd call "mission critical".

Windows Mobile is far more mature than Android but I find in my day to day usage that Android outperforms WinMo in most areas.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
I have to say that havng used Android for the past 6 months...I completely disagree. I do think they need to fix the issue you discovered but that's one bug in a very new OS that overall works incredibly well. Especially since I don't think the bug you've found is what I'd call "mission critical".

Windows Mobile is far more mature than Android but I find in my day to day usage that Android outperforms WinMo in most areas.
I was one of the first to get G1, and I have to say that it is not even half baked! It is pretty raw. The bug that is discribed here is one of many. I don't want to start a new tread on Android here, but my point is, that there's certain bais against MS. Its products are put under microscope, some claims completely unfounded, take it WM, Vista, Office, etc. And while you so easy forgive Google, or Apple for that, MS behind is get ripped apart. Maybe it is just atrend started by Apple's advertising compain with Mac vs. PC, or maybe it just an army of drones, without their own opinion, knowledge and experience ready to smear and distory anything that is beiond their understanding. Here's a "SHINY" example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&feature=fvst