Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
bubuschoeny
Pupil
Default Is the Iphone Bad for Microsoft?

I think the Iphone actually did MSFT a favor. They have been trying to bring touch based products to the maintream for years and failed. But thanks to the Iphone the touch screen erra is here. Would MS like to have been the first one sure, but its not the end, its the beginnng.

MS is learning and learning very quickly look at the drastic changes in the Zune 2 vs the Zune 1. Like it or hate it, it's a worthy Ipod alternative. Look at how much the Zune marketplace has changed and grown. Another question does the Zune need to outsell Ipod to make a profit in a word no.

I don't see a zune phone happening what I see is a zune marketplace on everything but the Iphone. Nokia is in talks with MS to produce a Zune market place for Symbian. I'm sure there are poeple at RIM that would consider the same idea. I could also see MS working with cell phone carriers to include the cost of a zune subcription in the monthly bill. I think a subscriptoin based model of some sort will ultimately win. Anyway thats my two cents.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Out of curiosity, where did you get the beta from?
Well, I don't think I should provide the link here, but let's just say I found it pretty easily by doing an internet search for "Pantech Duo 6.1 Beta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Even if you don't like what Apple has done with the iPhone, they deserve credit for regularly releasing OS updates.
Oh, totally. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Though if you ask me 4 upgrades in 13 months just shows it was released too early... However, as a long-time WM user, I can tell you even one upgrade in a phone's life cycle is more than most manufacturers do, so yes, kudos to Apfel.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
Well, I don't think I should provide the link here, but let's just say I found it pretty easily by doing an internet search for "Pantech Duo 6.1 Beta"
No, no link necessary. Just making sure it wasn't an official beta or somesuch, as that would be a startling departure from the status quo in WM.

(Which, frustratingly, has gone backwards. In the era of the first generation Pocket PCs, there was an expectation that upgradeable firmware = one significant OS upgrade. This is nowhere near the universal case now; I'd consider it an exception. )

--janak

Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
But doesn't that kind of undermine your point about updates? How many average users are going to install an OS update on their phone from an unknown third party?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
But doesn't that kind of undermine your point about updates?
To be honest, I'm not sure what point you're referring to.

Quote:
How many average users are going to install an OS update on their phone from an unknown third party?
Well, zero, of course. Beta versions, especially leaked ones, are pretty much by definition not for average users. However, rumor has it AT&T will be releasing WM6.1 for their current lineup of phones this fall (Moto Q, Blackjack II, Tilt, Pantech Duo), and I think most people would be OK downloading the official upgrade from AT&T's site.

Last edited by Damion Chaplin; 08-02-2008 at 02:26 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
But doesn't that kind of undermine your point about updates? How many average users are going to install an OS update on their phone from an unknown third party?
Working in a cellphone store I learned average users do not install official updates when they are available, let alone cooked ones. This is why I like Apple's us of iTunes as a central hub for all things iPod/Phone related.

If there was a way to have Windows Mobile Device Center notify you if their was an update available for your phone, then I'm sure more Windows Mobile users would install these updates. The average user isn't usually doesn't read sites like this so they have no way of knowing updates even exist for their handset.

The irony here is the lack of communication leads people to not updating but these are communication devices so their shouldn't be an issue with communication at all.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure what point you're referring to.
Well, what you said was:

"Well, I just installed the WM 6.1 Beta on my Pantech Duo, and I had it fully installed and all my information and applications back on the phone within 15 minutes, so I'm not really that impressed with your experience with iPhone/iTunes. The hardware manufacturers are perfectly able to make the upgrade experience a pleasant one. If it's not, well, it's not Microsoft's fault, it's the phone's manufacturer."

So you're basically saying that Windows Mobile can be great at updates...but that's really only if people are willing to use cooked ROMs, and most won't - nor should they be. The upgrade/update story for Windows Mobile largely SUCKS right now...even if you're lucky enough to get a ROM update, it will wipe out all your info and settings, so you have to re-program your phone from scratch. That's why I stopped doing email for all my accounts on my Windows Mobile phone - setting up five (!!) IMAP accounts and one Exchange account after every ROM update was SO frustrating.

So given all that, I don't know how you can say that the iPhone/iTunes upgrade experience isn't light-years beyond what we have now as Windows Mobile users.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
Working in a cellphone store I learned average users do not install official updates when they are available, let alone cooked ones. This is why I like Apple's us of iTunes as a central hub for all things iPod/Phone related.
That's a great point - most users don't realize there's an update for their phone that will fix some of the problems they're having. With iTunes, the user docks their phone to sync some music or videos, and voila, they're notified about an update. That's just slick. That's the way it SHOULD be...either that or device-side update notices.

Quote:
If there was a way to have Windows Mobile Device Center notify you if their was an update available for your phone, then I'm sure more Windows Mobile users would install these updates.
Great idea! I bet they haven't implemented something like that now because the upgrade story is so frickin' ugly...the first time a customer had an update and lost all their device information and had to re-install applications, etc., they'd swear off ever updating again.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
stevew
Theorist

Quote:
If there was a way to have Windows Mobile Device Center notify you if their was an update available for your phone, then I'm sure more Windows Mobile users would install these updates.
That would be a good step forward but I couldn't even get WMDC to work at all on my Vista Notebook, which was one of the main reasons I got fed up with WM.