Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!


Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM
virain
Philosopher
virain's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 554
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
If I am not mistaken I believe the Zune OS is running no top of Windows CE. If this is the case designing a Windows Mobile phone around the Zune concept wouldn't be that hard (in theory.) We would have the underlining OS with some of the Zune guys though (David? Jason? Adam? )



I dislike the Sidekick so much. Using your phone shouldn't be like watching a Transformer go to work. Sure maybe it would be cool if I was still in high school (though I doubt it) but having a phone where one of the main features is the screen flipping around without a care in the world is just an accident waiting to happen with me.
It is not a question of personal preferences, but existing facts. 15 y.o. girls and some that older (my example above) do like it, and not only girls, my friend's son, 17 y.o. now is on his 3rd Sidkick. And in IMHO Danger (now subsidy of MSFT) does something right. So why would MSFT develop Zune phone? It does seems redundant. From business point of view, and, frankly, logical, to continue improvement of Sidekick, adding new features, makes much more sence, that create a competition to yourself
__________________
You create your opportunities by asking for them

Last edited by virain; 07-31-2008 at 08:26 PM..
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm not an Apple fanboy. In fact I've always been very loyal to Microsoft. But I don't care anymore.
***long quote trimmed by mod JD***

I have no immediate plans for switching to the iPhone, but your post makes complete sense. You sound as sincere as someone can be, and you everything you mentioned is accurate.

One of the main reasons I have not moved on to the iPhone is because of the Samsung Omnia, which seems as close to perfect as a phone can get (besides the dissapointing resolution).
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Rocco Augusto's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
Oh yeah, and fantastic article, Rocco. Ignore what that first poster said.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
And hey, watch what you say about Transformers, K?
Ha, will do!
__________________
Follow me on Twitter - @therocco
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You know I don't even care anymore.
Well thanks for continuing to post here anyway - it's always nice to get different opinions.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,202

It wouldn't surprise me if a Zune Phone or similar was released. We saw MS get trounced completely by Apple with their Media-OS and "Plays for Not Sure" device manufactured by third parties. They eventually got tired of it and went a completely different direction with the Zune. I haven't used one, but by all accounts it provides a MUCH better experience than the old devices we saw from Creative, Samsung, etc.

I've been harping on the OEMs lack of progress for years, and I have to believe MS feels the same way. Don't get me wrong MS shares some responsibility, as the OS has been stagnant as well, but too many WM devices are just reshaped offerings that we've seen several times and several years before.

After continuing to struggle with my "new" iPaq 910 while on the road this week. I am finding that I'm using my upgraded iPod Touch more and more. My primary usage while traveling is for media, internet and email (corporate and personal), calendar and note taking. The Touch is soooo much better at all of this except note taking and the calendar app, but as far as the calendar it's not a huge issue for me. I'm starting to wonder why I don't just bite the bullet and get an iPhone and carry one less item, charging cord, etc. The iPhone is definitely not just a pretty UI as some would have you believe. Opening up HTML email on the Touch using the same WiFi network as the Ipaq is about 3-4 times faster. I'm so tired of see the "message is loading" notification and being unable to scroll or do anything until it completely loads on the iPaq.

So having said that, I typically prefer the openness of the MS model, but in the case of phones, I'm starting to think that it's currently not working as well as I would hope. I'm hopeful that MS sees this too (not just licenses sold) and does decide to deliver a complete hardware/software package.
 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM
joker
Banned
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 64

I am glad that Microsoft is restricting hardware vendors.
And imho Microsoft should kill HTC.

And yes, Rocco, nice article, but the follwong part is the most ridiculous:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
With the exception of HTC ...
After the HTC Alpine aka Qtek 2020i aka o2 XDA 2i HTC somehow managed to f*ck up the user experience with any device, that's a fact.

I am going to get me an HTC Diamond. It's a crappy device - because of no memory expansion slot - but still, I am going to get it, because there is no better alternative and you either have to accept the industrial ripping off or live in the woods.

Last edited by joker; 08-01-2008 at 11:43 AM..
 
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Jon Childs
Thoughts Media Review Team
Jon Childs's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Augusto View Post
Let's not forget your son being smart as well! Give the boy some credit!

Nothing warms a geek Dad's heart like a son who already likes random electronic gadgetry and is contantly bugging me about when we are going to see the next Star Wars movie.... Although I have mixed feelings about getting beat up at Wii boxing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Rocco Augusto
Editor Emeritus
Rocco Augusto's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
And yes, Rocco, nice article, but the follwong part is the most ridiculous:...

After the HTC Alpine aka Qtek 2020i aka o2 XDA 2i HTC somehow managed to f*ck up the user experience with any device, that's a fact.
Thanks joker! Yes but over the past year they have been trying to redeem themselves a little (at least I think so.) With Touch FLO and now the new snazzy Touch Diamond interface we are getting a lot more out of HTC then we are other hardware makers at the moment.

HTC isn't the end all of user interfaces and there is probably more HTC could do to make the device better but as a consumer I appreciate what they are doing more than anyone else in the market. They show us a glimpse of what Windows Mobile could be, and I dig it
__________________
Follow me on Twitter - @therocco
 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Janak Parekh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
Well, I just installed the WM 6.1 Beta on my Pantech Duo, and I had it fully installed and all my information and applications back on the phone within 15 minutes, so I'm not really that impressed with your experience with iPhone/iTunes. The hardware manufacturers are perfectly able to make the upgrade experience a pleasant one. If it's not, well, it's not Microsoft's fault, it's the phone's manufacturer.
Which phone manufacturer/carrier offers 4 software upgrades in 13 months (albeit, two of them were minor)? Out of curiosity, where did you get the beta from?

Even if you don't like what Apple has done with the iPhone, they deserve credit for regularly releasing OS updates. I understand the Microsoft model is different, splitting the device manufacturer from the OS vendor. However, I would much prefer a WM architecture that allows base OS updates from Microsoft itself, somewhat roughly akin to what happens on the desktop.

Quote:
If they keep going in that direction and just step on the accelerator a littler harder, they could in fact make WM a decent competitor to the iPhone.
I don't think anyone disagrees with this. However, people have voiced impatience with Microsoft's pace and the scope of their releases. Let's hope WM7 improves the latter, although the former still remains a problem.

--janak
 
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Even if you don't like what Apple has done with the iPhone, they deserve credit for regularly releasing OS updates.
No doubt. Apple has the model down pat - Microsoft's current model SUCKS. BAD. Unless you're willing to go the warez/ROM-remix route (I'm not) there are virtually no updates released on any regular basis for many Windows Mobile phones.

I really want Windows Mobile 6.1 for my Samsung Blackjack II. But where can I get it from, legitimately? Nowhere.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 PM.