Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Talk

Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 AM
doogald
Oracle

I like the Mini, too; we use ours, as media PC (with an external tv tuner.)

I hope that they will keep the Mini around, probably with a bump up in specs to match the Macbook (i.e., discrete graphics adapter, new Mini Display Port).

Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
I agree. It's a shame, too, because the Mini is an awesome "gateway drug" to the world of Apple...
Indeed - I've pondered buying a Mac Mini more than a few times. Given the fact that my office already has three 24" Dell monitors, and a 26" Dell LCD TV, I simply don't have space for an iMac. A Mac Mini with decent specs is the only Mac I'd even consider getting...but Apple is determined to keep it kind of, well, sucking in the specs department. A small mini-tower Mac would be great - Apple could make some huge in-roads if they went that route, but it doesn't seem like they will...

Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Joe Johaneman
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Johaneman

Quote:
That is... Unless their netbook style device is real, or the tablet is indeed coming...
I think Calicanis is right: Apple is working on a Internet connected TV, probably designed to replace the AppleTV, which is just a toy project anyhow.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Dyvim
Sage

I'm disappointed that the Mac Mini and Apple TV haven't received updates. I'm semi-tempted by each of them and basically for the same purpose: to act as a media server (I'm not sure which I would go with- they both have their pros and cons). I don't know if I'd buy either one even if they were refreshed, but I'm definitely not going to buy either until they are refreshed (or discontinued). I'd like a spec bump and Wireless N for the mini and a capacity bump for ATV (160 GB- gimme a break, last year's iPod classic managed that. ATV sizes should match their Time Capsule capacities; i.e. 500 GB & 1 TB- now THAT would be a media server).

I thought the iPod and iPhone refreshes were decent. The new nano is a sweet looking player- I just wish I had an excuse to get one, but alas I don't.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:13 AM
doogald
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
I'm disappointed that the Mac Mini and Apple TV haven't received updates.
Well, hang in there. See http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._in_there.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim View Post
I'm semi-tempted by each of them and basically for the same purpose: to act as a media server (I'm not sure which I would go with- they both have their pros and cons).
Well, I went with the Mini mostly because there was no Apple TV then , but also because if our family desktop spits the bit and goes in for repair we have a capable backup ready to move in until the new one is back.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Da_Brain
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to Da_Brain

Quote:
I agree. It's a shame, too, because the Mini is an awesome "gateway drug" to the world of Apple, but it does appear that it's not really in their future plans; at least for now.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I think we've seen the last of it.
I agree! I really don't understand Apple lately. All many want is some minor updates like 802.11n, better graphics and a minor cpu bump!

I was all set to get parent a mini for Xmas. Looks like that's not going to happen.

I think if apple would have just made these minor updates before Xmas they would have sold a ton of them.

It's going on 2 years now and Apple actions appear to totally neglect what a recent rumor claimed by an Apple rep that they (Apple) admits this is a popular Apple product! God I'd hate to see what they would do if they thought it wasn't!--)))

Very disappointed in Apple neglecting this platform.

From Brian Berard located outside of Erie, PA

Last edited by Da_Brain; 11-06-2008 at 06:12 PM..