Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple iPods

Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
CD Quality on HD is 125kbps. If you multicast, that immediately divides that bandwidth in half to 60kbps. FM Radio quality is considered the 25-50 kbps range. Am I that far off, really?
I've never heard HD Radio in my life, but from a bit rate perspective, the difference between an MP3 at 32kbps and an MP3 at 64kbps is massive. So the difference between FM radio at 25kbps and HD Radio at 60kbps is likely to be just as huge. This is probably all a matter of personal experience - Perry has heard HD Radio sound really good, and it sounds like you've heard it sound really bad. It depends so much on the individual station, right? And let's not forget the metadata part of HD Radio. I presume they'll have something similar to "Buy From FM" on the HD Radio, so it would be pretty slick if you heard part of a song on the radio, tagged it, and could download it onto your Zune over the air if you had a Zune Pass. Seems pretty compelling to me!

There are no HD Radio stations in Calgary, so it's a moot point for me, but like I always say, just because there's a feature in there that I won't use doesn't automatically make it a useless feature.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
...does it really matter that you don't have to transcode the file? Does anyone really have that much HD digital downloaded content that it's a deal-maker for them?
Have you ever ripped a DVD for desktop/home theatre playback, say 720 x 480 at 2000 kbps, and then wanted to take that movie on your iPod or other portable device? You'd have to transcode it. Even with SD content, the ability to just take that same file and plunk it on your player without having to transcode...that's powerful stuff, at least for me. I rarely put much video content onto my Zune because the transcoding takes so long - and we're talking SD content, not HD.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Have you ever ripped a DVD for desktop/home theatre playback, say 720 x 480 at 2000 kbps, and then wanted to take that movie on your iPod or other portable device? You'd have to transcode it. Even with SD content, the ability to just take that same file and plunk it on your player without having to transcode...that's powerful stuff, at least for me. I rarely put much video content onto my Zune because the transcoding takes so long - and we're talking SD content, not HD.
One unanswered question in all this is how much space the Zune HD will have. HD content is certainly expensive sizewise. A 16GB Zune HD probably wouldn't be so great in this regard. I'd love to see, say, 32GB or 64GB.

--janak

Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
HD content is certainly expensive sizewise. A 16GB Zune HD probably wouldn't be so great in this regard. I'd love to see, say, 32GB or 64GB.
Indeed. I'd love to see a 64 GB version, but if Apple is charging $399 for a 32 GB, and we know they get probably the best Flash pricing in the world, a 64 GB model would probably be cost-prohibitive.

Makes me wish the Zune HD had a microSD card slot actually...slap a 16 GB card in there for $40 and you're laughing, a 32 GB card next year for the same price. The Zune team has always resisted a memory card slot, largely because Apple hasn't done it. I think it's one of the blind spots that the Zune team has.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
So I'm genuinely curious, and I mean this in a completely sincere way: I've seen this said before elsewhere, but no one ever explains what they think Microsoft should do. If you don't consider an OLED screen with the worlds first Tegra-powered handheld device (if that's indeed what they used), and the first MP3 player/DAP HD radio receiver innovative...that what is? What to you would be considered innovative?
Jason, I don't think the average consumer is going to care about that stuff. They're looking at price and features. I don't have any idea of what would be innovative - I'm just a consumer! But the Zune HD needs something that will scream out at the consumer "I'm better because...". Something they can see when they play with it in the store. Now, if the OLED screen is noticeably superior to the screen on the iPod Touch, that would be a big advantage because that can be SEEN.

As for the radio - well, honestly, I don't know anyone who listens to radio except to kill time in the car (if they don't have a CD player or iPod/Zune car connector). Not sure the HD radio is such a big selling point.

And why in the world would I want to connect my device to an HD screen when I can just watch it in HD in the first place, be it via a downloaded file or whatever other means there are to get HD content (ignorant here since the only HD content I get is via the iTunes store and I watch it on my 24" Cinema Display. I don't own any HD television sets). So I don't see this as a selling point either.

I'll discount the Windows-only aspect of it since that's not going to change and I don't think it matters since most folks use Windows anyway. No big deal.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the Zune be it HD or the original. I just think Microsoft needs to do something to make the device seem more attractive to the average consumer than the iPod Touch, even if it's just marketing. Sell the HD features and the OLED screen so that people will prefer the Zune to the iPod.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
But the Zune HD needs something that will scream out at the consumer "I'm better because...". Something they can see when they play with it in the store. Now, if the OLED screen is noticeably superior to the screen on the iPod Touch, that would be a big advantage because that can be SEEN.
I think you're right - the OLED screen is going to have a powerful WOW factor if it's as good as other OLED screens I've seen. In a store it should have big impact. But this is assuming of course that Apple won't come out with an iPod Touch with an OLED screen too...it's all about the one-upmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
As for the radio - well, honestly, I don't know anyone who listens to radio except to kill time in the car (if they don't have a CD player or iPod/Zune car connector). Not sure the HD radio is such a big selling point.
I tend to agree with you, but over in the Zune Thoughts forums, I'm always amazed at the number of people who cite the FM radio as being a big selling point for them. I listen to radio when I wake up in the morning, and maybe in the car if I'm sick of the CD I have in the deck...but that's about it.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Indeed. I'd love to see a 64 GB version, but if Apple is charging $399 for a 32 GB, and we know they get probably the best Flash pricing in the world, a 64 GB model would probably be cost-prohibitive.

Makes me wish the Zune HD had a microSD card slot actually...slap a 16 GB card in there for $40 and you're laughing, a 32 GB card next year for the same price. The Zune team has always resisted a memory card slot, largely because Apple hasn't done it. I think it's one of the blind spots that the Zune team has.
YES!!! I think Apple doesn't because of their obsession with thinness, but this is one tangible area where the Zune could distinguish itself from the iPod and MS could play it up for all it's worth.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
doogald
Oracle

Interesting - there will be no e-mail client.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Is that confirmed? It doesn't surprise me actually - this is an entertainment device, not a PDA like the iPod Touch - but I haven't heard Microsoft publicly talk about what software is going to be on the device.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Oh, heck. You just brought up the one BIG advantage of the Touch that I'd forgotten - the App Store. That's a killer advantage and one that Apple markets like mad.