Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!


Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...




Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple iPods

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Janak Parekh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
EDIT: I should also mention that the last time I contacted an Apple-focused site to talk about a serious inaccuracy they mentioned in an article, it turned into a ridiculous mess. Daniel Eran can not be reasoned with. He believes what he wants to believe, and facts to not enter into the equation.
I don't doubt it, but can you take that specific experience and generalize it into all Apple sites? Jeremy Horwitz seems to me to be one of the most balanced Apple editors out there. He is frequently critical of Apple.

--janak
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Vincent Ferrari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
It's pretty simple actually: the Zune HD can play back HD-resolution content. Bam. It doesn't matter if the screen isn't 1280 x 720 - what kind of short-bus person would think a 3.3 inch 720p screen would make sense is beyond me - what matters is the kind of content it can handle.
You're not serious, right?

This from someone who advocated for Blu Ray on a 13" screen? Who argued with me when I said it was overkill?

What was that quote you used? Something like "Just because you don't find a feature useful doesn't make it automatically not?" or something similar?

In all seriousness, though, calling a device HD because you can play HD through it to a television with an optional dock, to me, smacks of being "technically" correct, not honest. Bam indeed.
__________________
Current Apple Stuff: 24" iMac, iPhone 4, AppleTV (original), 4gb Shuffle, 64gb iPad 2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Perry Reed's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 468
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Quote:
if radio stations are multicasting their "HD" station, the quality is nearly indistinquishable from standard FM radio.
This is just not true! Most of the stations here in Tampa broadcast in HD now and you can definitely tell the difference when you tune in. For the first few seconds after tuning, you get the old analog signal and then the digital HD signal kicks in and you can definitely tell the difference. It's even more impressive on the AM HD stations.

As for the Zune HD, I think it looks pretty slick and I'm eager to find out more about it. Will it support third-party applications? I would think that, to compete with the iPhone, it'll have to. And will it have PDA applictions built in? If so, I wonder if it could be a Windows Mobile killer. (Or perhaps just a preview of Windows Mobile 7...)
__________________
--
Perry Reed
My regular blog || My flying blog
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Vincent Ferrari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
EDIT: I should also mention that the last time I contacted an Apple-focused site to talk about a serious inaccuracy they mentioned in an article, it turned into a ridiculous mess. Daniel Eran can not be reasoned with. He believes what he wants to believe, and facts to not enter into the equation.
That would be like contacting Ed Bott, Paul Thurrott, or Mary Jo Foley to correct a Windows article.

The whole lot of 'em are zealots and can not be reasoned with. Daniel Eran Dilger is just one of many zealots out there; they're on all sides.
__________________
Current Apple Stuff: 24" iMac, iPhone 4, AppleTV (original), 4gb Shuffle, 64gb iPad 2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky View Post
According to me, MS needs to actually beat Apple to the punch with something innovative, and so far it hasn't.
So I'm genuinely curious, and I mean this in a completely sincere way: I've seen this said before elsewhere, but no one ever explains what they think Microsoft should do. If you don't consider an OLED screen with the worlds first Tegra-powered handheld device (if that's indeed what they used), and the first MP3 player/DAP HD radio receiver innovative...that what is? What to you would be considered innovative?
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Vincent Ferrari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Reed View Post
This is just not true! Most of the stations here in Tampa broadcast in HD now and you can definitely tell the difference when you tune in. For the first few seconds after tuning, you get the old analog signal and then the digital HD signal kicks in and you can definitely tell the difference. It's even more impressive on the AM HD stations.
Except you're getting all pissed at me for something I didn't say. I didn't say it was the same sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
and for the most part, if radio stations are multicasting their "HD" station, the quality is nearly indistinquishable from standard FM radio.
Bandwidth is finite with HD. CD Quality on HD is 125kbps. If you multicast, that immediately divides that bandwidth in half to 60kbps. FM Radio quality is considered the 25-50 kbps range. Am I that far off, really?
__________________
Current Apple Stuff: 24" iMac, iPhone 4, AppleTV (original), 4gb Shuffle, 64gb iPad 2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
I don't doubt it, but can you take that specific experience and generalize it into all Apple sites?
Because it's the one and only time I've attempted to present a factual error to an Apple site. Maybe they're not all like that, sure, but it certainly didn't encourage me to try again. Besides, as I said they know the device can play HD files directly, but like our own Vinny here, they don't think that matters.
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Vincent Ferrari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
So I'm genuinely curious, and I mean this in a completely sincere way: I've seen this said before elsewhere, but no one ever explains what they think Microsoft should do. If you don't consider an OLED screen with the worlds first Tegra-powered handheld device (if that's indeed what they used), and the first MP3 player/DAP HD radio receiver innovative...that what is? What to you would be considered innovative?
Just for the record, I think on paper, it's a pretty cool device, but paper doesn't always translate.
__________________
Current Apple Stuff: 24" iMac, iPhone 4, AppleTV (original), 4gb Shuffle, 64gb iPad 2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Vincent Ferrari
Executive Editor Emeritus
Vincent Ferrari's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,471
Send a message via AIM to Vincent Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Because it's the one and only time I've attempted to present a factual error to an Apple site. Maybe they're not all like that, sure, but it certainly didn't encourage me to try again. Besides, as I said they know the device can play HD files directly, but like our own Vinny here, they don't think that matters.
Does it? I mean, if you can only watch it in 1/4 that resolution, does it really matter that you don't have to transcode the file? Does anyone really have that much HD digital downloaded content that it's a deal-maker for them?
__________________
Current Apple Stuff: 24" iMac, iPhone 4, AppleTV (original), 4gb Shuffle, 64gb iPad 2.
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Jason Dunn's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 29,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
You're not serious, right? This from someone who advocated for Blu Ray on a 13" screen? Who argued with me when I said it was overkill?
Ah, but you're missing the point my friend - this isn't a matter of display, it's a matter of input. Let's say there was a laptop that had a Blu-ray player in it, but only had a 1280 x 720 screen....720p, but not 1080p, which is the point of Blu-ray. So you have a laptop that can't display the full resolution of the Blu-ray disc. Just like the Zune HD that can play back a 720p video file, but not display the full resolution on the screen.

You'd say that was worthless right? I say it's not. I say the value in having a laptop with a Blu-ray drive is that if you have Blu-ray DVDs and you want to watch those DVDs, that's what matters most, not whether it's the "proper" resolution. Just like if you have HD video files, the ability to watch them on the Zune HD is what matters. HD is about crispness and clarity, and I'm quite certain that a 720p video scaled down with a powerful GPU will make that video look really good on the 3.3 inch OLED screen. But we'll see...if I'm wrong I'll be the first to cry foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
In all seriousness, though, calling a device HD because you can play HD through it to a television with an optional dock, to me, smacks of being "technically" correct, not honest. Bam indeed.
My Panasonic point and shoot camera can capture HD video at 720p, but when I preview it on the screen, it's not HD resolution (it's VGA I believe). So according to you it couldn't be called an HD device. I say it is.

I think this is just splitting hairs over whether calling something HD means it has to be able to play back HD content, or display HD content. Blu-ray players don't have screens, but they can play back HD content. You wouldn't dispute that they're HD players though, right?
__________________
Want to contact me personally? Use this. Want to read my personal blog? Check it out. Want to follow me on Twitter? Here you go.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:42 PM.