Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Dale Daniels
Pupil

Rex,

The Shriner's Childrens' Hospital in St. Louis has been great in helping out with our daughter. Have you been able to contact any of these hospitals for support? Anyway, we are going to scrape together what we can to send to you.

I'm not sure if it would be allowable here, but on another forum we once had an auction to help out a member. People donated items of interest (it was a collector's site) and they were auctioned with all proceedes going to the gentleman in need of help. I have some PPC items of interest that might fetch a fair price.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Daniels
I'm not sure if it would be allowable here, but on another forum we once had an auction to help out a member.
That's an interesting idea! I'm 100% tapped right now for time/resources, but it someone wanted to take this idea and run with it, I'd certainly throw my support behind it and promote the auction in every way I could.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
myrampar
Ponderer
Default A Great Friend and Father.

I have known Rex for the last 3+ years and worked for him for a year and a half helping him primarily with his networking clients. I must tell you all that he is the hardest working and most dedicated person I have seen when it comes to family and profession.

I learned a tremendous amount while working with him and the 'real world' work experience I gained was invaluable. Despite all that he and his family have gone through, he has always found time to reply to a phone call or email asking for advice and has been a great source of information to me after I started my own small support business. They are great people and I am happy to be called their friend.

I second what Rex said about the Thoughts Community being the "Best of Breed" for online communities. I have learned many things by visiting the site and forums over the years and my hats go off to all of you for your support of Rex and his family!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Even before I was a registered member on PPCT, I could see the great community aspect in the Thoughts Media editors and site members. Four years later, while I'm not as active on the forums, the same community spirit is even more evident.

Rex, I hope my donation can help. Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 AM
rmorris
Neophyte

Rex,

Don't lose faith. Good friends and good people come through when they are called upon. My office runs an incredible fund raiser every year for a local not for profit - they raise about $15,000 annually between just 20 people with average salaries of about $30k. Several have had very personal experiences with the charity, and their testimony brings almost everyone to tears (even though they are the same stories every year). Even a small group of people with limited resources can make a huge difference.

The charity getting all of their support is the local United Way office. Every United Way office is different, but my experience with several regions is that they are staffed by very caring individuals that have practically unlimited information for referrals (medical assistance, counseling, etc.). It sounds like you are at a point where you may need many different forms of assistance, so I would wholeheartedly encourage you to call even if you do not know exactly what you are looking for. I know they were a huge help to my wife and me when we found out that she was in for a very tough and risky pregnancy. I had no idea what they might do or offer us, but they were able to refer us to some great support groups that knew much more about the problems than trained physicians.

I'm very happy that you've decided to reach out for help. Sometimes all it takes is asking. Your family is in our prayers.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:27 AM
daS
Thinker

Rex:

Last year I was diagnosed with lymphoma and spent only six months dealing with its physical, mental, emotional and financial tolls. Still, I can't imagine what it would be like to have a small child of mine go though that trauma.

I am extremely fortunate that this year is far different for me: I'm currently in remission and in less than a month, I'm getting married to the woman that stood by me through all my treatments and stress.

While I obviously have new financial obligations these days, there's always a little something to help those that need it more than I.

I certainly hope that the small contribution made will not only help with the expenses you are incurring, but perhaps may act as a "good luck charm" and that you and your family will be able to claim a similar turn-around.

In any case, I wish you the best and hope to hear how things progress for you and especially for Katie.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default Embarrassing...

I don't want to embarrass myself but the story is worth telling. Jason agreed to post the article here a few weeks ago and at the time I was really unsure of going for it. The next day my wife says, "Our expenses this month are $X000 farther ahead than we are. So I hope you like peanut butter and jelly. Our accounts are overdrafted so we cannot use them. We had no food and we haven't been able to shop for 2+ weeks.

I gotta tell you guys. We went grocery shopping and we have food. We have a PayPal Mastercard and that let's us use it like a check card. I wish I wasn't saying this at all because it's pathetic. But you guys saved us in a huge way.

You are awesome. We had no other options and thanks to you guys we had a way out.

I feel very small right now but I still wanted to share and say thank you.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Dale Daniels
Pupil
Default Re: Embarrassing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by code-frog
I wish I wasn't saying this at all because it's pathetic. But you guys saved us in a huge way.

I feel very small right now but I still wanted to share and say thank you.
In a world where parents abandon their children, run away from responsibility, blame others and show a general lack of moral responsibility toward those they are responsible for caring for, I can certainly say there is NOTHING pathetic about you taking care of your family. Sure, there is nothing wrong with humility...it does help us understand that some things are bigger than us, but I certainly would never say that someone in this situation was less of a person just because they needed help. Bless you for trying so hard.

Now - Let's talk about the things that ARE pathetic. Fathers who fail to take care of their families, mothers who never know where their children are, parents who feed their dog better than their kids, sicko parents that think hitting children with closed fists is acceptable and a whole host of others who do not deserve to have someone as special as a child in their life.

The initial post shows us a man who has put in double hours to take care of his family. A father willing to go hungry to take care of his children. A person who is thought highly of by friends. And it shows us someone who is not so worried about pride as to make his ill child pay for it. Brother, you are a true hero in my book.

Come on folks, lets show him how well we take care of our own!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Dale Daniels
Pupil

BTW-Money is on the way (Paypal) and my wife and I will send more on payday (this Friday). As always, pay it forward! You will be there for someone when they need it most someday, and I know you will always do the right thing.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Embarrassing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Daniels
In a world where parents abandon their children, run away from responsibility, blame others and show a general lack of moral responsibility toward those they are responsible for caring for, I can certainly say there is NOTHING pathetic about you taking care of your family.
Here here! One of the reasons I wanted to help Rex so much was because of how much I admired his willingness to stick by his family through even the hardest times. It's easy to be a "good family man" when things are going great - it's when things go badly that you really see where your priorities are.

There's nothing weak about asking for help Rex. True weakness is not having the strength to humble yourself and do what's needed for your family. Remember that.