Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Legacy Devices

Old 10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.
I haven't tested this of course, but I'm 99% sure that no Pocket PC can sustain throughput of 1.38 MB/s, which is what the theoretical maximum of 802.11b is. So the jump to G is largely meaningless from a speed perspective.
Indeed. I'm told the move to 'G' has been done for the lower power requirements and improved compatabilty - not the speed.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Indeed. I'm told the move to 'G' has been done for the lower power requirements and improved compatabilty - not the speed.
That's what I've heard too. And based on a few reports I've seen lying around, it looks like that bottleneck in speed might still be in place.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Having said that, Dell has a much better track record than HP when it comes to updates and all. I'm adamant that you will value a brand new X51v more than you will an hx4700, but that's purely subjective. While 802.11g might be the wireless standard to get these days, I'd question how much you would use it. In most cases than not, your internet won't feel any faster. The most you'd gain out of 11g would be faster file transfers, and I've still yet to check up on this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS might still have a bottleneck on data speeds.
The TomsHardware test of the Linksys WCF54G Wireless-G Compact Flash Card produced, according to the Tom's tests, clearly better results than b cards even in a slowish iPAQ 2210.

Furthermore, another advantage of a g module, as opposed to b (excerpt from the article): "11g for PocketPC's isn't so much a matter of faster network access for the handheld devices themselves, but more a matter of not slowing things down for speedier WLAN users, due to the 11b protection mechanism built into 802.11g."

Old 10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkinman
After looking through the links of working software, I'm a little disapointed! I see quite a few programs I use not listed as working especially chapura pocket mirror. Looks like I if I get the X51v, I may not want to get rid of the ipaq for awhile!
You know, I scroll through the list and chapura pocket mirror is not on the working list OR non-working list. Therefore, it doesn't really mean that it won't work with WM 5. It just means that no one has tested the software yet. Anyway, try to find an owner of x51v to test it out for you.

Edit: OOPS ops: It is actually not compatible with WM 5. Sorry. ops: http://www.wm5fixsite.com/index.php?...9&Itemid=1

Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
The TomsHardware test of the Linksys WCF54G Wireless-G Compact Flash Card produced, according to the Tom's tests, clearly better results than b cards even in a slowish iPAQ 2210.

Furthermore, another advantage of a g module, as opposed to b (excerpt from the article): "11g for PocketPC's isn't so much a matter of faster network access for the handheld devices themselves, but more a matter of not slowing things down for speedier WLAN users, due to the 11b protection mechanism built into 802.11g."
Ah, yes, I recall that article. I guess I'm still on the lookout for an article which compares integrated 11b and 11g solutions. If you find one, let us know.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Chris112
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Y.
Just a thought, you can get x51v for $305 NOW. So act quickly. :wink: http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6602

hope this helps.

I guess that deal expired now.. :cry:

Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 PM
kiwiruss
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to kiwiruss Send a message via AIM to kiwiruss Send a message via MSN to kiwiruss Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiruss
Default X51V for me

Im upgrading from my Ipaq 5455 wm2003 device to an Axim 51V. It should arrive this week :-)

I expect the odd issue with apps not supported yet but on the whole Im druling for the VGA device thats the best deal out there. Got mine for $329 delivered !

Old 10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.
Default Re: X51V for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiruss
Im upgrading from my Ipaq 5455 wm2003 device to an Axim 51V. It should arrive this week :-)

I expect the odd issue with apps not supported yet but on the whole Im druling for the VGA device thats the best deal out there. Got mine for $329 delivered !
Enjoy your new axim! 8) :wink: