Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-15-2007, 03:35 AM
aNiMeMaN14
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to aNiMeMaN14

I really can't believe I'm going to be the first one to HANDS DOWN give it up for the slide-out keyboard. I'm on the Cingular 8125, and I'll slide it out, whether it's for a few words, or a full blown SMS.

I talk on AIM quite a bit on my phone, and there's no other way to go than a nice, physical keyboard. I used to use the Spb Full Screen Keyboard back on my i-mate Jam, and I don't think I can ever go back to a PDA without a built in keyboard again.

I also can't imagine how many of you use on-screen keyboards to navigate the web. With the heavy use of symbols and letters used when typing in addresses, I just don't think I don't have the patience. Then again, the only time I ever us my stylus is when a certain game requires it. Guess you can say I'm a bit new school. 0X

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
baardoa
Neophyte
Default Languages

I have the T-Mobile Vario II, and I have recently discovered the Resco Keyboard. That is perfect when changing between several languages (Scandinavian, German and English). I also use the slideout keyboard, but I find it most awkward sometimes.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 AM
martin_ayton
Thinker

For short inputs, I use FITALY where I can. However, my Vario II seems to have issues with driver / service memory, despite my installing most things to the storage card, and it's a bit of a lottery whether FITALY will be available. I will revert to the on-screen keyboard if not. I have removed all the other on-screen input methods - I was just too slow with them. I use the slide out keyboard for longer inputs. Since getting the Vario II with the slide-out, I have never used my ThinkOutside BT keyboard, which I used to use a lot on my Xda2s

Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM
TOCA
Intellectual

Since english is not my main language, and mainly writing in one, that needs special letters, I'm unable to use any of the build in handwriting options, also most slideout, and foldable keyboards, are out of the question.

So I use Fullscreen keyboard from Spb, with danish skinn, for longer texts, and the standard onscreen (lokal version), for short messages/notes.

When I want to make it fancy, I use Dasher textentry
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

Old 06-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Yata
Pupil

No matter what Apple says, you still can't beat a proper QWERTY keyboard. I do a lot of texting and a real keyboard makes all the difference.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
abf
Pupil

Letter recogniser does for short things, I find.

For docs, meeting notes etc, bluetooth keyboard instead of laptop - means I don't feel like I'm hiding behind a lever-arch folder.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
adamz
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjstandin
What is the T9 Phonepad though ?
The T9 PhonePad SIP came with the original HTC Magician as well as a few other HTC devices a while back. They've since stopped including it, and I wish they'd bring it back especially for the HTC Touch. It's just like a numeric keypad with T9; big buttons, three letters on each number, predictive text. It's great for one-handed text entry if you know how to use T9.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 PM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
psyjohn
Ponderer

Ever since discovering Ed's homepage (which initially led me to this forum) :wink: I've been using FITALY. It was a bit awkward at first, but before my trial period was up I was faster than I'd ever been with QWERTY or Letter Recognizer. FITALY has made it possible for me to take quick observational notes in the classrooms I visit, which can then be copied and pasted into larger documents when I'm back in the office. I used to carry post-its and small pads of paper along with my PPC all the time, but now I'm nearly paperless in my regular workday.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
wmm
Pupil
Default Sppedscript

I'm really disappointed that after this many replies no one has mentioned Speedscript (www.speedscript.biz). I've been using it for nearly a year now after having tried many of the other options mentioned. I find it easier and faster than Fitaly, which was my previous favorite. I have a device with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard (a Cingular 8525), but after testing I find that I'm faster and more accurate (and more comfortable entering large amounts of text) with Speedscript. You do need a screen protector because of all the sliding, but I think it's worth it.

I'd prefer a bluetooth full-size keyboard, of course, but if I can't have that (which I often can't -- places with no table/desk space to put it, on airplanes with their radio restrictions, etc.), I'll go for Speedscript every time.