Originally Posted by isajoo
whats the resolution on most 12-13"?
I run at 1280x800 native resolution.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
.....1920x1200 on a 15.4" WOW, wonder if u'd like a 7" umpc with 800x480? lol whats the resolution on most 12-13"?
I've tried 7" UMPCs and most 12-13" laptops, and I'm fine with them - possibly because my desire to have all things ultra high-res has died off over the years. :P

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
weird thing, even with my 17" laptop screen at 1440x900 i set it much lower down to 1024x768(i know this is not 16:9, but i(and my father) both cant read most text and its a real strain on "our" sight(dont wear glasses and dont want to start)
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you can't read text at 1440 x 900 on a 17" laptop screen, it's very likely that you do in fact need glasses - have you had your eyes checked lately? ;-)

Not that there's any problem with bumping down the resolution - whatever works for you. I do know that the computer industry is racing toward higher and higher resolution panels, but we have a greying population that is having a harder and harder time seeing things, so this is an issue that's going to reach a boiling point pretty soon...

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

sorry for the confusion...

i actually CAN read all the text at 1440x900(i am typing with the high res right now), i just dont like it. plus when i sit at my desk at work, the laptop is almost 3ft away from my eyes and for my dad it is not readable at all. so for his benefit i use the lower resolution. plus i get to save a few more years of my own eye sight.

my bro uses a laptop with 1900x1200 or something like that and for me THAT is even readable, but WHY would u want to view such small fonts.

for me its just a waste.

i did get my eyes checked and i only have a slight far sided issue.

plus, my job requires VERY good near sided vision, repairing watches and jewelery. my dad has used the magnify googles for years...my time will come.

maybe thats why i try to use a larger font, because of the strain from work.

edit: even on my ppc the font is set to largest, once again why keep it small. i usually read on my ppc from 1.5ft away.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

isajoo, I'd go ahead and use the higher resolution, but bump up the DPI. That way you'll have the larger text AND greater clarity at the same time.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
i actually CAN read all the text at 1440x900(i am typing with the high res right now), i just dont like it. plus when i sit at my desk at work, the laptop is almost 3ft away from my eyes and for my dad it is not readable at all.
Three feet is quite a distance - most people tend to use laptops about 1.5 feet away, no more. So I can see why you'd have a hard time reading that. ;-)

Quote:
my bro uses a laptop with 1900x1200 or something like that and for me THAT is even readable, but WHY would u want to view such small fonts.
Yeah, I've seen laptops at 1920 x 1200 on a 17" screen, which is CRAZY small. I use that resolution but it's on a 24" LCD monitor, so the difference is huge. High resolution = fitting more things on the screen at once, so the reason why some people like higher resolutions isn't that they like small fonts particularly, it's that they can fit more on the screen at once.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein
isajoo, I'd go ahead and use the higher resolution, but bump up the DPI. That way you'll have the larger text AND greater clarity at the same time.
my bro told me the same thing, but when i triec it, it does not seem to work for everything, especially web pages, most site are designed for 4:3 1024x768 or even 800x600 so it all just looks like a mess. he also told me to increase the font size on the browser, but once again it looked weird and it does not remember the settings, especially for sites that open a new tab/window.

3ft away is the closest i can get, its treated like a desktop not a laptop, i have a mouse from a pull out drawer and it sits on top of the desk and since it has a FULL keyboard its very similar to a desktop. i do agree using a resolution of 1024x768 on a 17"wide at "1ft" looks horrible. lol
but it works really good with all sites. my dads into stock trading.(i call it gambling)