Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-04-2008, 01:52 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony99CA View Post
...I have no problems with the current Media Player UI, so I don't know what the fuss is about...
Great then... you're all set

Quote:
Because calling something as powerful as Windows Mobile a "phone OS" slights the system. It would be equivalent to saying "Nice jalopy" to somebody driving a Ferrari.
If someone has an issue with the car I drive, it's their issue not mine. If I refer to my Windows Mobile device as having a 'phone OS' and someone is bothered by it, well... that's something they'll need to work through

Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 AM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight

I agree that having to get to all your programs on WM through the Start Menu is pretty silly. However, there is at least one solution. There may be others besides this program, but I'm not aware of them.
The app I'm referring to is called SPB Pocket Plus. Basically, it gives you the equivalent of your Windows PC's desktop (placing icons on your primary screen, to launch programs), on Windows Mobile. Due to the smaller screen size of pocket devices, they implemented tabs, letting you categorize your various programs, and just switch to whichever tab you need.
For example, on my Dell Axim X50v, I have a tab with a file folder plugin, a tab for my most commonly used "everyday" programs (calc, Excel, Word, Notepad, file explorer, a battery indicator, memory meter, and brightness slider), "Entertainment" (games, media player, and MS Reader), "Communications" (Wi-Fi, IE, ActiveSync, etc.), and "System" apps (numerous of WM's system setting applets, mainly).
Several of their other programs are able to be plugged in to this interface as well, such as a weather forecast plugin, showing icons for the next 5 days' worth of weather.

No, I don't work for SPB...I've just found this to be one of those "must-have" apps that. If I ever find a device that has all the functionality of the VGA Axim, with a VGA (or better) screen as big (or even just a hair bigger), more memory, a newer version of WM, AND phone functionality, SPB Pocket Plus would be the VERY first thing I'd install. I'm honestly so used to it, that I have a tough time remembering where to find stuff on the WM Start Menu, at times. Okay, not really, but I DO find myself having to remember to go to "Programs" on the start menu, to find where an installer put an icon...lol

Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1darkknight View Post
I agree that having to get to all your programs on WM through the Start Menu is pretty silly. However, there is at least one solution...
'At least one' is a bit of an understatement. Your solution is really just part of the problem with Windows Mobile. While the average consumer today is a lot more tech-savy than just a few years ago, they aren't looking for a device that requires research and additional purhcasing to make the UI easier to deal with. WM requires 'at least one' layer of UI enhancement product to be more practical as well as visually appealing; something the iPhone, and now the G1, achieve out-of-the-box.

Last edited by benjimen; 10-04-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Russ Smith
Intellectual

Every so often I have to explain Apple and Microsoft to people. The best explanation I've come up with is that Apple is a hardware company that writes software (some of it pretty good) to sell their hardware. Microsoft is a software company that occasionally builds hardware to sell their software. The Zune never really fit into that equation, but now, with the player being ported, it does.

I'm glad to see this as I"m one of those folks who've tried quite a few mobile media players because the built-in one just wasn't enough.

An aside about "classic" (non-phone) Pocket PCs (see CAB124 and Jason's recent comments): I've been a proponent of non-converged solutions for some time. At some points, my conviction wavers, but I remain a two-device guy. The reasons are simple: I can upgrade my WM side of things without having to buy a new phone. Likewise the phone side. My PDA screen is a 4 inch VGA resolution monster and my phone screen is a tiny 2 inches. I don't have to worry about my PDA use draining my cell-phone battery. I've even got 48MB of storage on my PDA (!).

In addition, because it's not a phone, I can actually use my PDA when I'm working (where they object to the possibility that you might be using your phone to check e-mail or browse when you should be attentive to guests.)

There are drawbacks: I have to make sure my phone supports high-speed phone-as-a-modem operation. They're linked via Bluetooth so that throttles the actual speed down a bit. Getting my PPC connected takes a few seconds longer. I can't use the RedFly, because my PDA is obviously not one of the supported phones.

So, while I agree with Jason that the non-converged PPCs hit their peak a few years ago, but, until I can find a way to get most of the plusses above on a phone, I'll stick with two devices.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Down8
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Down8 Send a message via AIM to Down8 Send a message via MSN to Down8 Send a message via Yahoo to Down8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Depends on whether the sync solution is ported from the Zune to WM or from WM to the Zune.
I would not wan to have to install yet another app to sync media ot my device. Let WMP sync to whatever interface WM uses (Zune might be a refreshing change), but don't force another app on us.

-bZj

Old 10-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjimen View Post
Great then... you're all set
True, except I want to know how the Zune interface might be better. Just because I'm OK with the status quo doesn't mean that I'd ignore something better. I just need to be convinced that it is better.

Quote:
If someone has an issue with the car I drive, it's their issue not mine. If I refer to my Windows Mobile device as having a 'phone OS' and someone is bothered by it, well... that's something they'll need to work through
You missed the point. It's not about what you call your stuff, it's about what other people call your stuff. If you called somebody's Ferrari a "jalopy", don't you think they might get upset? Or, a bit more personally, if somebody calls himself a "dumb sucker", that's cool, but would you really be surprised if he got upset if you called him that?

Besides, you more or less asked why it would upset somebody. I explained that. Saying that's not how you would react is rather irrelevant.

The fact is that Windows Mobile is a lot more than a "phone OS"; it's a PDA OS that includes phone functions. If anybody bought a Windows Mobile phone and didn't use it as anything other than a phone, I'd wonder why they bought it.

Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default The Start Menu

Quote:
'At least one' is a bit of an understatement. Your solution is really just part of the problem with Windows Mobile. While the average consumer today is a lot more tech-savy than just a few years ago, they aren't looking for a device that requires research and additional purhcasing to make the UI easier to deal with. WM requires 'at least one' layer of UI enhancement product to be more practical as well as visually appealing; something the iPhone, and now the G1, achieve out-of-the-box.
I disagree that it needs anything to be more practical. How hard is it to use the Start menu and click Programs to see your list of programs -- especially when that's what you do on your PC (assuming you have Windows)?

Yes, WM isn't the most visually appealing OS, but that doesn't bother me. I'll leave the pretty sugar to those form-over-function people.

Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 AM
benjimen
Intellectual

Um... you're the one who said you were fine with it, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about -- now that's apparently not the case... From your posts though, in general, you seem to just enjoy disagreeing -- nothing wrong with that, just a pattern. Still feel that 2.5mm headphone jacks are the standard...?

Quote:
True, except I want to know how the Zune interface might be better

Old 10-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Misquoting

Quote:
Um... you're the one who said you were fine with it, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about -- now that's apparently not the case...
I don't have any complaints with the Windows Media Player UI. However, as I said, I don't know the Zune interface and want to understand why people think it's better. Those aren't contradictory statements, as much as you might want to spin them as such. Maybe you think it's odd that people might be interested in learning about better things, even if their current solution works fine; I think it's normal.

Anyway, why bother making more replies to my question that don't answer it? If you know the Zune, tell me what you like about it better than Windows Media Player. If you don't know the Zune, let it go.

Quote:
Still feel that 2.5mm headphone jacks are the standard...?
On cell phones? Yes. As far as I recall, every cell phone that I've owned has had a 2.5 mm jack.

But why don't you take a few months and look at all 4000+ posts I've made and dig up some more that you can bring up that are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Steve

Tags
windows mobile, zune