Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
q
Neophyte

It does not work that flawlessly. It extracts a bigger part of sound notes but not all of them. Generally ranging from 50% to 80%.

Maybe it's the Windows Mobile 6.1 that's the root of the problem. There is a chance. But on my PC (WinXP) I get exactly the same results (the same .wav notes are extracted and the same are omitted).

Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
q
Neophyte

I checked it more thoroughly and it came out that exactly 50% of sounds are extracted.

If you ordered the sounds 1, 2, 3, ..., n the program would produce only every second sound in the following order:

1: sound no n-1
2: sound no n-3
3: sound no n-5
n/2: sound no 1

This may not always be exactly the case as I tested it with the file that had an odd numer of sound notes (39). If the number is even it may be slightly different. But you get the general idea.

I also downloaded the source code and spotted some
Code:
fileSize/2
occurences there. I am not a programming expert however so maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with it. I' m thinking of experimenting with the code myself a bit.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q View Post
I checked it more thoroughly and it came out that exactly 50% of sounds are extracted.

If you ordered the sounds 1, 2, 3, ..., n the program would produce only every second sound in the following order:

1: sound no n-1
2: sound no n-3
3: sound no n-5
n/2: sound no 1

This may not always be exactly the case as I tested it with the file that had an odd numer of sound notes (39). If the number is even it may be slightly different. But you get the general idea.

I also downloaded the source code and spotted some
Code:
fileSize/2
occurences there. I am not a programming expert however so maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with it. I' m thinking of experimenting with the code myself a bit.

Thanks for reporting this; I'll try to look into the problem when I have some time.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 AM
BobM
Neophyte
Lightbulb An easy method using software only

I came across this thread with the same problem of extracting WAV files from PWI files. I found a technique that works entirely through software with no need to modify anything on the mobile device.

In the PWI files the WAV file is stored at the end of the file. All that needs to be done is to delete everything before the WAV portion and then save the remaining data as a new file. Here is an easy method to do this using a freeware hex editor.
  1. Transfer the PWI files to a PC using ActiveSync.
  2. Open the PWI file in the hex editor XVI32. All following steps are in XVI32. http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm
  3. Search --> Find
    • "Text String" should be checked
  4. Enter the following text in the search field: RIFF
  5. Click OK
    • The "R" in RIFF will be highlighted in the window on the right
  6. In the window on the right, select the character before the R in RIFF. That is, select the character to the left of the R in RIFF.
  7. Edit --> Delete to cursor
  8. File --> Save As --> Filename.wav
Filename can be anything you like, but it needs to end in .wav.

WAV file headers begin with "RIFF" so this is just deleting everything before it and saving the rest, leaving only the WAV file.

Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
janolsen
Neophyte
Default .wav not playable on PC?

Tried extracting on PC. But soundfile not playable in Win7 with MediaPlayer and with VLC there's no sound. Then I also tried recording directly to .wav, same problem. Strange...using WM6.1 on HTC