Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 03-09-2004, 04:08 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Thanks Jason! Glad you're willing to change.

I think the best option is to use a percentage width of maybe 75-85% for the largest table. Although much less complex, the main website I currently maintain (Singleton Piano Studio) also uses the width style that iand mentioned.

Old 03-09-2004, 04:32 PM
encece
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by iand
How about a minimum width set for an assumed 800x600, but expandable if the users screen is wider? See for example my site at http://www.thegadgetbox.com. The center column expands or contracts, while the outer columns remain a fixed size to accomodate ads, menus, etc.
Yes, that's the way www.pocketpcthoughts.com and www.smartphonethoughts.com work now.
But you still need to limit your pics sizes so what does this really get you other than filling out the screen on higher res?

Old 03-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by encece
But you still need to limit your pics sizes so what does this really get you other than filling out the screen on higher res?
Absolutely nothing other than wider text that is progessively harder for the human eye to read the wider is gets...which is the point I'm trying to raise. :wink: Anyway, interesting comments, and interesting votes - it's not that far away from being an even split (figures).

Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by encece
Absolutely nothing other than wider text that is progessively harder for the human eye to read the wider is gets...which is the point I'm trying to raise. :wink: Anyway, interesting comments, and interesting votes - it's not that far away from being an even split (figures).
yeah, after I first brought up the topic I thought about that...but I really think that wasting 2/3 of my screen is worse than having to read wider text. Not sure there's a great solution to this problem that's good for both small and large resolutions. Good luck. :wink: lol

Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

fwiw, I find that both this site and PPCT, in 800x600 windows, have a tiny, little bit of horizontal scrollage left in them. Rather annoying imo to get the last letter of an ambiguous word in a sentence that's the full width of the cell. But 90% of the time there's no issue.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Neil Enns
Thinker

Quote:
Absolutely nothing other than wider text that is progessively harder for the human eye to read the wider is gets...which is the point I'm trying to raise.
Hmm. But in this case it's not like the choice is between "fixed-width for ease of use" and "full-screen 1280x1024 to annoy the user". It's between fixed-width and adjustable-width.

If you go with adjustable width those with an 800x600 screen can read fine. Those with their browser set to 1000ish wide get slightly more text that is still legible. And only freaks running maximized will hit the width-hard-to-read issue, and they just have to narrow their window to fix it.

Neil

Old 03-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
fwiw, I find that both this site and PPCT, in 800x600 windows, have a tiny, little bit of horizontal scrollage left in them. Rather annoying imo to get the last letter of an ambiguous word in a sentence that's the full width of the cell. But 90% of the time there's no issue.
You know, I was ready to say "No it doesn't", but darn it, you're absolutely right - I just used a little app called Sizer and there is a few pixels worth of side-scrolling on DMT and PPCT. :? I'll see about getting that fixed....

Old 03-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
It may be a Sizer issue then, as I use it too.
Nope, I'm in 800 x 600 now on my monitor, and I see a few pixels (perhaps 10) worth of space in the forums and on the front page, causing side scrolling.

Gosh everything is big! 8O

Old 03-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Fabrizio Fiandanese
Banned

Quote:
It should be fixed now. Let me know if you are still seeing scrollbars.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:16 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio Fiandanese
It should be fixed now. Let me know if you are still seeing scrollbars.
Yep. PPCT too. SPT is fine though.

Excellent work otherwise! :way to go: