Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Events

Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM
ptyork
Sage

At home, I currently have a decent setup with some M-Audio AV-40's (LONG internal debate between these and the A2's, but I finally settled for the cheaper solution). I've got them hooked in through a NuForce Icon uDAC-2, which seems a pretty good combination to my aging ears. At work, well, the junk speakers in my monitor. Yeah, I REALLY need speakers in my office since I'm here so much, so I'd truck the AV-40's down here and enjoy the A5+ magic at home. And with the money I saved NOT having to buy new speakers, I'd be able to get a DAC for the office, too.

Hope life at HTC is treating you well! Really hoping to see a Titan on Verizon, so if you have a pipeline to the engineering and marketing departments, let them know!!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM
PeterDur
Neophyte
Default They'd beat a portable CD player

Currently I use a portable CD player with a 3.5mm input with my laptop when I teach my historical dance class. High quality speakers like these would help with improving both volume and sound quality, so my dancers can be more effectively cued by the music.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM
joelroos
Neophyte

I'm currently using a set of Sennheises PC350 headphones and have no external audio at all for my rig.

This would be a significant upgrade, as now my ears wouldn't be muffed so I can check out the audio on my PC.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM
ale_ers
Theorist

My current audio set up in my office is awful. I have a monitor with built in speakers...they are fine for the occasional video clip, but if I ever try to watch anything longer I have to rummage around for headphones.

These would not only be a huge improvement, they would also add some class to my desk.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
edramsey
Pupil
Default Hi Jason

Hi.

I have a new iMac and have been using the internal speakers, which aren't too bad. I used to have a set of Mackie MR8's and MR5's for studio work but sold them. The A5's would be a nice upgrade.

I have been reading your stuff since the very early pocket pc days and you have helped guide a lot of my early technical decisions and purchases. Thanks for all the effort you have put into these sites. I have been one of those who have benefited. Best wishes to you as you move ahead in your life.

-Ed

Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

At home, I have a Mac mini connected to a pair of of ten year old mighty Labtec speakers, $200 at the time, with separate woofer. They have seen about 15-20 different PC's and Macs over the years, yet they still work great.

A set of A5+ speakers might convince me to set up the Mac mini as a dedicated media system, as opposed to its current "general usage" role. Maybe slam in a 42 inch HDTV too.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM
jmcrenshaw
Neophyte

My current audio setup is sad indeed. I am using my tiny guitar practice amp for a speaker. The amp has 2 rca jack aux inputs, that I have plugged into an adapter into my pc's headphone jack. The sound tends to be distorted and way to heavy on the base. I can't control the aux inputs volume directly, and it seems to be stuck at 10 (max).

Obviously these speakers would sound so much better (stereo not mono). I could more accurately control the volume and not wait until every one has left the house before turning the music on

Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
yvilla
Theorist

I'm just using my HP TouchSmart desktop's supplied speakers, but I would sure love to give these to my grandson if I won them.

And by the way, I'm not here as often as I used to be in the early days of PPCT (all the time then ), so just learned about your new job and plans to sell - wow!

Will be the end of an era and a huge part of my history - sorry to see you go but wishing you the best in your new capacity and life stage!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM
humayunl
Intellectual
Default want to win

I usually just use headphones these days. They're handy and keep the sound limited to my ears only.

I used to have a very nice altec lansing pair but after about a decade of use, it died and i moved temporarily to headphones and just haven't had a chance to get a replacement yet... this would be perfect!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 PM
WitnessFTP
Neophyte

My current setup is a pair of cheap Dell desktop speakers so these A5+ speakers would be infinitely better than the Dells.