Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Status Updates

Old 10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

It is amazing to reflect back over the technology changes that we've seen since these sites started. I first stumbled across these sites when I got my black and white hp pocket PC with the sled on the back that I could plug in a big old 4 MB CF memory card or even a CF modem. Wow how times have changed!

It was a pleasure and an honor writing here over the years. Jason, best of luck to you at HTC and to your family in your new lives here in the states. Beyond the sites, I'll treasure the friendships I've continues with so many of you since my tenure here. If anyone is interested in my current writing, I've just currently started a consumer information/customer service oriented page over on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BetterChrisnessBureau

Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Philip Colmer
Thoughts Media Review Team

Jason, it has been an honour and a pleasure to be part of the Thoughts Media community. Thank you for setting it up!

To the review team, thank you for all of your hard work. It has been a brilliant experience.

All the best to everyone.

Regards

Philip
Review Team Coordinator

Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
T_Scheen
Pupil

As in real life, one will miss something (someone) as soon as it's (he/she) not present anymore.
From Windows CE to Android - Thanks a lot !!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM
jacklf
Pupil

Jason (& crew): Thanks for all the great informative, insightful and fun reading over the years. Good luck with the new adventures ahead of you!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Thanks, Jason, for the fun we had, even back in Greymatter days. :-)

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
sundown
Theorist

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen but it makes me sad. I guess my occasional ad clicks alone weren't paying the bills. I've been here for 6+ years now. There are very few sites I've followed and communities I've participated in that long. But I have also learned in life that sometimes you have to make the call to allow room for newer/better things. Thanks for all the great info over the years on all the Thoughts sites and best wishes with your new ventures.

Happy trails!

Bill

Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
The Yaz
Thinker

Jason,

I am grateful for the support you and the tech community gave through your sites. Over the 12 years, your site affected me both personally and professionally.

In 2002 I was working for a music theatre company and we were having issues with a lack of funding to give the production crew laptops to use autocad blueprints to design and build the sets. With the guidance of this site I proposed the theatre purchase Compaq Ipaqs with the CF sleeves.

For the cost of one laptop, I was able to purchase three Compaqs and install Pocket Cad. The Production team learned to successfully use them; even making notes on the files and emailing the changes to the rest of the team! At the end of the production season the Executive Director acknowledged my plan helped the Threatre break even which probably saved them from closing the doors.

But personally, I will always remember:
*Jason and his periodic rants about posting etiquette. Runner up was his evolution of superhero avatars!

*April Fool's Day posts, and the griping that sometimes followed

*The great contests (I was an active contest participant; I won one of Jason's spare 500GB hard drives-still working! , the Scott-e-Vest Hat, a Zune original Birthday Cards set, and a Zune Thoughts blue light clip)

*The year the sites offered the membership program (I guess the lifetime license fine print was "good for forever unless I get a better paying gig"). I'm not complaining- it was definitely worth it. I got back half of the membership on a Sena coupon and the three free games I downloaded

Still your sites were always part of my daily routine. I've got you on my Twitter feed so I'll keep an eye out for your comments going forward.

So there's only one thing left to say:

So long and thanks for all the fish

@stevenyago

Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Ilium Software
Intellectual

Hi Jason,

No surprise that you're moving on - many of us from the early Microsoft Mobile days have. We've seen amazing changes: handheld to palmsize to pocket PCs, PDAs to smartphones, Microsoft to Palm to RIM to Apple and Google. Styli to fingers; keyboards to screens, every size imaginable. Many websites, software companies and people have come and gone. It was frequently a lot of fun, sometimes painful, but nearly always interesting.

Best of luck, wherever you end up. And thanks for everything.

Ellen

Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
rombo
Neophyte

- Best wishes Jason & many thanks for providing users with the Windows Phone & Zune sites.
- Got my first HTC device last week. Picked up a used Verizon Imagio (Whitestone), and hope to replace TransFlo3D shortly with SPB Mobile Shell ;-)

Best regards,

Rombo
Toronto, Canada

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

This is really a shame, but not entirely unexpected. Too bad you couldn't have found a buyer as there is still a place for Thoughts Media. It surely involves a great deal of effort and dedication, so I get why it would be a difficult thing for someone to commit to.

Glad you are enjoying your new job. Exciting times for HTC. I remember when their name wasn't on the devices they produced, as I'm sure you do.

We'll connect in other venues.