Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

There's some great work in there. The scary thing is that many folks seem to think that magazine photos are 'straight shots' and the people really look like that. There's something very depressing about people trying to attain perfect looks, when the people they are emulating don't look that good in reality. :?

Old 10-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Phoenix
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
There's some great work in there. The scary thing is that many folks seem to think that magazine photos are 'straight shots' and the people really look like that. There's something very depressing about people trying to attain perfect looks, when the people they are emulating don't look that good in reality. :?
That's true. And it is amazing what these people accomplish and how much incredible attention to detail they have: add a few hairs here, remove a few there. And of course much of what's done is based on what the art director wants them to do. Every magazine cover photo has this done and it really makes a person wonder just what the models and celebs honestly look like in person away from the lenses and lights!

Old 10-08-2005, 10:40 AM
mathiaspettersson@msn.com
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Watkins
Yeah, I have some mixed feelings about this. There's no doubt that some of these artists are masters at what they do, but I'm not all in favour of the practice in general. People, mainly women, get unreal expectations to live up to. Not only 16 y.o. stick-figure models, but digitally enhanced 16 y.o. stick-figure models.

It should also be said that some artists are alot less good. Take the gadget/chick-mag T3 for instance, where it's almost as if they want it to be obvious where they've done the touch-ups. Deepend cleavage, hightened chest and so on.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Crocuta
Thinker

I don't see anything wrong with a bit of judicious touching up. I recently took a pic of my wife to accompany an article about her business for an alumni magazine. Hey, we're in our 40's and we don't look like teens any more. While I didn't do anything like what these guys do, she really appreciated a bit of smoothing to the skin, a lightening of some wrinkles around the eyes, etc. What's the harm? It made her feel good and it's not like it made her look like a different person. I doubt that, if anyone who knows her looked at the image, they'd even know it was touched up. But if you look at the original and finished image, you can see that the touched one just looks nicer. I used techniques I learned from Scott Kelby's great Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers. If you have basic Photoshop skills, it's not hard.