Laptop Thoughts - News & Reviews on Laptops, Netbooks, Slates, and More

Be sure to register in our forums! Share your opinions, help others, and enter our contests.

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > LAPTOP THOUGHTS > Laptop Thoughts Site Updates

Old 06-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Tony Rylow
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
Yeah it gets incredible reviews. I'm probably going to get the i5 variant since even with the Core 2 it does so well.
I've been looking at this one as well.. Need something with a little more power than my Dell Mini 12. I've got it in m cart with the Core i7, 4GB RAM, and 250GB HDD. Lots of coupon codes floating around for these.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM
David Tucker
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I've been looking at this one as well.. Need something with a little more power than my Dell Mini 12. I've got it in m cart with the Core i7, 4GB RAM, and 250GB HDD. Lots of coupon codes floating around for these.
If you could point me to one I would be quite happy

Old 06-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Sooner than you might think. Stay tuned...
Yes! I'm looking forward to AndroidThoughts!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default Congratulations!

Congratulations on launching LaptopThoughts.com!

I think this is a great addition to ThoughtsMedia. I look forward to checking it often!

It would have been great to have 2 months ago when I got my new laptop. I am extremely happy with my choice though. After around 8 years of hard use my good old ThinkPad finally died.

I got an HP Pavilion dm3-1130us. It has 4GB of RAM, expandable to 8GB, and a dual core 64 bit Athlon NEO CPU as well as an Radeon HD 3200 graphics subsystem. It's an ultraportable with a 13.3" LED backlit LCD running at 1366x768 and only 4.12lbs. It also has a 7200rpm 320GB hard drive! I also like that it has built in HDMI and VGA. It was under $500 after a $50 rebate.

It has HP Web Start (really SplashTop) which is some kind of linux based instant boot system probably in bios. This is great! It has, among other nifty media tools and things, a mozilla based browser which is a very fast way to check things quick without going into windows. My wife uses this to check her email.

It also has technology to park (that probably not the term now but that's what it was back in the day) the hard drive if you drop it so it doesn't scratch the disk when it hits the ground. I thought only IBM/Lenova did this.

Anyway, I recommend this to anyone! Battery life is good if you use typical low power settings. I'd say I can get 5-6 hours. It also has bluetooth and 802.11b/g/n. Only a 10/100 nic but that will work for me. It doesn't come with any optical drive. I got an external usb powered (takes two ports) DVD burner for $80 that works great - really nice to not need another AC cord. The laptop has 4 USB ports so I still have two even with this plugged in. You can also use Virtual Clone Drive to help get around not having a physical drive.

I think I got a great system for under $500 (ok, more with the burner)!!!

BTW...this is really the first I've used Win7 and while it took a little getting used to I absolutely *love* it now and would never want XP back!!! It's fast and I love the changes to the interface (after getting used to some that really annoyed me at first)! Most of the changes didn't annoy even at the start.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Congrats on the launch, Jason. I know how much you had been looking forward to this.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM
timmy
Intellectual

Great! I can see from the other replies that I am still a junior when it comes to posting, but I am checking in daily for news on the other sites, and has been since PPCT was launched...

Good to see that there will be a serious laptop site as well. Count me in among the recurring readers, and good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Tony Rylow
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
If you could point me to one I would be quite happy
http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp
http://www.alldealscoupons.com/deals...593&d=20100611

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2062748 ---Someone lists deal as dead, but other people are still using some of the info to get discounts.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Tim Williamson
Editor Emeritus

Congrats on the launch of the new site Jason!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:20 AM
bleeman
Intellectual

Congratulations on the new site Jason. It's nice to see things still going strong here in Thoughts Media land. I remember the early days with PocketPCThoughts and I still have my iPAQ 5555 although now it's pretty much my wife's game machine (She loves Pocket Pop and Spider Solitaire).

I'll definitely add this to my list of sites to keep tabs on. No new hardware here, I'm still using my HP TC4200 and HP TC4400 Tablet's. My wife has the HP 5101 Netbook and loves it! We're running Windows 7 Professional on all of them.

Good luck and I hope this turns out to be another winning site for you.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
jgrnt1
Theorist

Congrats, Jason! I rarely visit Windows Phone Thoughts now , because I switched to an iPhone a couple of years ago. I do hang out at Apple Thoughts (until recently, only because of the iPhone) and occasionally visit Digital Home Thoughts as well.

I have a big honkin' company laptop (XP), a netbook (Win7) and an iPad, so I have good reason to dig myself back into the Thoughts family.

On a more serious note -- Have you considered expanding the Thoughts family into more mundane things? Technology is everywhere nowadays. How about Kitchen Appliance Thoughts or Cordless Yard Tools Thoughts?

On an even more serious note (seriously) -- You need to add Laptop Thoughts to the thoughtsmedia.com site. Have you thought about expanding the News from the Network section there? It could become an Engadget type site, aggregating all your various sites under one roof, for those that want to read everything about technology.