Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 AM
r@dimus
Ponderer

Go to Google and run a search for used laptops. You'll get links to several outfits and one of them is bound to have some old Pentium II's for sale. You would probably be surprised at how cheap those models are.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Moved to Off Topic since that's exactly what it is. :wink:

Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
clbsvi
Ponderer
Default Dead laptop

I suggest you buy a new laptop. Prices versus features are lower now than anytime in the past 2 years. I prefer Toshiba, currenly owning a Tecra A4 Series with 1024MB RAM and a 100GB Hard Drive. I use an optical mouse. The unit has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. I use Norton's latest 360 Systemworks for virus protection, and Spybot Search and Destroy V1.4 for Spyware control. Unlike many iconoclasts out there, I prefer Intel processors (currently a 1.73Ghz Centino, moving to the fastest Core2 Duo I can afford-- of course not in this laptop. It's time for a new one anyway, and no I am not filthy rich, just filthy. and Microsoft Windows, now XPSP2, moving soon to Vista Home Edition. My favored wordprocessor is MS Works vs Office. My ISP is AT&T's Deluxe Broadband and Telephone suite. Their tech service is awesome, and I require a lot of technical care and feeding. AT&T's cash incentives amount to about $350.00 US, enough to pay for the service for a year or to buy a low-end laptop. Let us know what you finally chose to do. And Good Luck. The lads here at PPC Thoughts are the best tech jocks around and their advice is excellent, allowing for a wide divergence in skill levels and preferences.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Joelacrane
Thinker

More issues. My power connector is still unreliable, but I have a friend who mods Xboxes and does all sorts of soldering and stuff, he works for Intel. I haven't seen him in awhile, he lives several hours away, but when I do, I'm going to ask him to take a look at it. He will probably know where to get a new connector and he will probably even solder it on for me.

The problem is bad, but it has gotten even worse. My battery is now unreliable. When I insert it (Laptop running or not...), the charge light comes on and then goes off. Sometimes, It stays on and turns green. Since the battery is usually not showing up, whenever that cord gets moved, the laptop shuts off. Great.

I need a Toshiba Tecra 8000 repair forum!

Searching Google does me no good, it just comes up with batteries for sale.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:17 AM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

He would, but they dont have any. They tossed all the old ones 2 weeks ago.

He did point out that for about $400, I can get a decent 1.8 Celeron on TigerDirect.com. I would go ahead and order one, but Halo 3 hits the shelves in exactly 1 month, and I want to have an Xbox 360 for that event. When Halo 2 came out, I was the guy that didnt have an Xbox. Not happening this time.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

Good news. A friend of mine sold me a laptop. Its a Gateway 7617 Mobile. Its tiny tiny tiny. Very thin and light without the expansion bay. Pentium III 933mhz, 380-something MB of ram, 20gb hdd, worn out battery, and then a floppy and DVD/CD-RW drive in the expansion bay. Got it for $80. I thought it was a pretty good deal.