Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 AM
BradleyH007
Pupil

This has been released internally by Cingular. According to the release notes, it was primarily focused on 3G SIM compatibility issues (the dreaded "Searching" problem). It did fix the "searching" problem (without changing the SIM) on a phone that I flashed today. It was a relatively simple (idiot-proof) install.

I did not notice any new features, but it did recover a dead phone to a normally functioning one. (Previously you had to swap to a pre-3G SIM, and they are getting harder to find).

FYI - there is a similar release for the 8125, as well. I will apply that one to an 8125 later tonight or tomorrow, but I don't expect any magic.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

I have seen the network "searching..." problem quite often and a few times the phone has switched into flight mode.

Will try it out this update weekend.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:47 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I must be lucky as I have not seen this issue. I flashed my 2125 anyway. I flashed my 8125 a few days ago with the xda rom and i can't believe how much better it performs. Like a different device. i am very impressed with HTC. I wish the carriers would get up to speed here.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

The thing bugging me is having to re-install all the software and settings. And then in a month or so [hopefully], will be doing it again for the the AKU2 update.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Kumar
The thing bugging me is having to re-install all the software and settings. And then in a month or so [hopefully], will be doing it again for the the AKU2 update.
I know. I'm still doing it hours later. :cry:

Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

But why release such a minor fix? Why not release AKU2 with it? My only thought is that AKU2 most be pretty far from release.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:12 AM
mbranscum
Thinker

Hasn't this firmware been on their site for a while?

Old 04-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

There was another one there but it was taken down. Not sure how long this one was up on the HTC site.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
nskgti
Pupil

From what I've been told, we should expect the release of MSFP in mid-May. it could be pushed until early June as I haven't asked in a couple weeks, but it isn't too far out.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:05 PM
jfreiman
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to jfreiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Temporale
But why release such a minor fix? Why not release AKU2 with it? My only thought is that AKU2 most be pretty far from release.
Trust me, if the radio is now fixed, this is not a minor update for those who had the problem.

I just moved and my phone now works fine. However in my old neighborhood my phone acted like *hit! I even visited there yesterday and my phone went back to it's old ways. loosing service for minutes on end, going back to full signal, flight mode - you name it!!!

I sure hope this radio fix works for people in those neighborhoods because it was really bad.

Now in my new apartment I get great call quality and Edge speeds of 211kb/s!

This can be a great phone - given the location.

-John
PS. Between the Cingular sites and ATT sites in my old neighborhood, there were no less than 5 cells located withing 3 blocks of my old apartment!